Old 19-07-2007, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Potatoes

Hi All

I have now dug all my potatoes up that I was growing and was wondering if
the small tubers that are left in the ground will grow again? I have heard
that once you have grown potatoes you tend to keep finding them popping up
every now and then?

Donna

Old 19-07-2007, 02:32 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna \(UK\) View Post
Hi All

I have now dug all my potatoes up that I was growing and was wondering if
the small tubers that are left in the ground will grow again? I have heard
that once you have grown potatoes you tend to keep finding them popping up
every now and then?

Donna
Hi Donna,

They do more than pop up occassionally! I palnted some last August for a winter crop and they have been appearing all over the place this summer.

Old 19-07-2007, 03:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Donna (UK)" wrote in message
Hi All

I have now dug all my potatoes up that I was growing and was wondering if
the small tubers that are left in the ground will grow again? I have
heard that once you have grown potatoes you tend to keep finding them
popping up every now and then?

Donna

Next year they will re-appear as "volunteers". It's always best to remove
every last little potato when harvesting to prevent this happening. It can
be a pain when lots of potatoes come up in next years onion or cabbage
patch. Unless weeded out they can overwhelm next years crop.

David.

Old 19-07-2007, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David (Normandy) wrote:
:: "Donna (UK)" wrote in message
:: ...
::: Hi All
:::
::: I have now dug all my potatoes up that I was growing and was
::: wondering if the small tubers that are left in the ground will grow
::: again? I have heard that once you have grown potatoes you tend to
::: keep finding them popping up every now and then?
:::
::: Donna
::
:: Next year they will re-appear as "volunteers". It's always best to
:: remove every last little potato when harvesting to prevent this
:: happening. It can be a pain when lots of potatoes come up in next
:: years onion or cabbage patch. Unless weeded out they can overwhelm
:: next years crop.
::
:: David.

..... and they always survive even the coldest weather

Old 19-07-2007, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Robert (Plymouth) wrote:
David (Normandy) wrote:
:: "Donna (UK)" wrote in message
:: ...
::: Hi All
:::
::: I have now dug all my potatoes up that I was growing and was
::: wondering if the small tubers that are left in the ground will grow
::: again? I have heard that once you have grown potatoes you tend to
::: keep finding them popping up every now and then?
:::
::: Donna
::
:: Next year they will re-appear as "volunteers". It's always best to
:: remove every last little potato when harvesting to prevent this
:: happening. It can be a pain when lots of potatoes come up in next
:: years onion or cabbage patch. Unless weeded out they can overwhelm
:: next years crop.
::
:: David.

.... and they always survive even the coldest weather

To my mind potatoes are the number one weed. No matter how assiduously
I fork the ground potatoes remain. Then next year the blasted things
come up in the middle of whatever I have planted!

Old 19-07-2007, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/7/07 19:09, in article , "Broadback"
wrote:

Robert (Plymouth) wrote:
David (Normandy) wrote:
:: "Donna (UK)" wrote in message
:: ...
::: Hi All
:::
[...]

I don't think the answers posted so far quite cover the OP's implied
question. If she leaves seed in the ground, will she get a crop from it
next year, equal to what she gets this year? IME, the answer is 'no' but
I've rarely grown potatoes myself, just gratefully accepted gifts. ;-)

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 19-07-2007, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

After a year of potato planting and harvesting the following year due to
illness my veg plot was left to itself.
During that fallow year there was a massive bumper crop of spuds - even a
more abundant crop than I had harvested the previous year and they were all
sound and very edible.

Old 19-07-2007, 08:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote
I don't think the answers posted so far quite cover the OP's implied
question. If she leaves seed in the ground, will she get a crop from it
next year, equal to what she gets this year? IME, the answer is 'no' but
I've rarely grown potatoes myself, just gratefully accepted gifts. ;-)

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
(remove weeds from address)
children.'

I have got decent crops off them but most times they are slug eaten

Old 20-07-2007, 07:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thank you all for your posts, best go and have a dig around to try and see
if there are any remaining spuds!!!!

Donna