Old 20-07-2007, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Laurel hedging

On 20/7/07 19:56, in article
,
" wrote:

On Jul 20, 7:06 pm, Sacha wrote:
Having lunch at the local today, we looked at a hedge planted against the
bordering fence next door. This year it has put on at least 18" of growth
and Ray said "and people think it's slow growing....." ;-)

Sacha, we had a gardener trim ours in June, it is a day's work. He is
coming back to do it again next week, I have never seen growth as fast
as this year. Usually it is only cut once a year in July but because
of all the rain we brought it forward to June, we shouldn't have
bothered and I would think at this rate it will need to be cut again
before the Winter, fortunately that will be the new owners' problem!

Judith

This has been a strange year for so many plants but it's certainly been wet
enough to get many going. But see my reply to WaltA about Ray's take on
laurel in a general sense. It's evergreen, it's fast, it makes a good
thick, attractive hedge - lots to be said for it.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk