Old 20-07-2007, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Laurel hedging

Having lunch at the local today, we looked at a hedge planted against the
bordering fence next door. This year it has put on at least 18" of growth
and Ray said "and people think it's slow growing....." ;-)

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 20-07-2007, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 19:06:57 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Having lunch at the local today, we looked at a hedge planted against the
bordering fence next door. This year it has put on at least 18" of growth
and Ray said "and people think it's slow growing....." ;-)

and next year a good 3ft easily when it finds its roots

Old 20-07-2007, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 20, 7:06 pm, Sacha wrote:
Having lunch at the local today, we looked at a hedge planted against the
bordering fence next door. This year it has put on at least 18" of growth
and Ray said "and people think it's slow growing....." ;-)

Sacha, we had a gardener trim ours in June, it is a day's work. He is
coming back to do it again next week, I have never seen growth as fast
as this year. Usually it is only cut once a year in July but because
of all the rain we brought it forward to June, we shouldn't have
bothered and I would think at this rate it will need to be cut again
before the Winter, fortunately that will be the new owners' problem!

Judith

Old 21-07-2007, 02:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
This has been a strange year for so many plants but it's certainly been
wet enough to get many going. But see my reply to WaltA about Ray's
take on laurel in a general sense. It's evergreen, it's fast, it makes
a good thick, attractive hedge - lots to be said for it.

The recommendation is to cut it with secateurs or loppers in order not
to damage the leaves.... Ha! We're surrounded by 780 feet of it....

On the side that is ours, we keep it to 8 feet or so, and it's a nice
neat hedge.

On the side that is the neighbour's (thankfully to the East), he once
didn't top it for 10-12 years. It had shot up to well over our (high)
bedroom windows, to maybe near 25-30 feet.... It has now not been cut
again for 5 or so years, but we're on good terms with them and don't
like to say anything....
--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 21-07-2007, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/7/07 16:22, in article , "Klara"
wrote:

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
Sacha writes:
| On 21/7/07 14:10, in article
,
"Klara"
| wrote:
|
| On the side that is the neighbour's (thankfully to the East), he once
| didn't top it for 10-12 years. It had shot up to well over our (high)
| bedroom windows, to maybe near 25-30 feet.... It has now not been cut
| again for 5 or so years, but we're on good terms with them and don't
| like to say anything....
|
| Not even, "could WE take a bit off the top of your hedge so that we can
look
| out of the bedroom"?

Or even, if it is your hedge, "Do you mind if we come round and trim
your side of our hedge?"

We did that when our next door neighbours were an elderly couple.
They were actually very happy for me to include much of their
Himalayan Giant in that ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Unfortunately he is not only younger than we are, but he also has two
men working for him, in part in his garden, so any such suggestion from
the elderly neighbours might come across as a bit ... umm ...
embarrassing?

Reasonable, I'd say. If I had two men working in my garden and they didn't
keep the hedge cut to accommodate my nice neighbours, I'd be glad to have it
pointed out to me. ;-) In all seriousness, if he's young and busy and has
just asked them to keep the garden tidy, he's probably not even aware of the
problem and they're not bothering to get out ladders and do what they should
be doing, if he doesn't notice!

Old 21-07-2007, 08:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 21/7/07 16:22, in article , "Klara"
wrote:

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
Sacha writes:
| On 21/7/07 14:10, in article
,
"Klara"
| wrote:
|
| On the side that is the neighbour's (thankfully to the East), he once
| didn't top it for 10-12 years. It had shot up to well over our (high)
| bedroom windows, to maybe near 25-30 feet.... It has now not been cut
| again for 5 or so years, but we're on good terms with them and don't
| like to say anything....
|
| Not even, "could WE take a bit off the top of your hedge so that we can
look
| out of the bedroom"?

Or even, if it is your hedge, "Do you mind if we come round and trim
your side of our hedge?"

We did that when our next door neighbours were an elderly couple.
They were actually very happy for me to include much of their
Himalayan Giant in that ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Unfortunately he is not only younger than we are, but he also has two
men working for him, in part in his garden, so any such suggestion from
the elderly neighbours might come across as a bit ... umm ...
embarrassing?

Reasonable, I'd say. If I had two men working in my garden and they didn't
keep the hedge cut to accommodate my nice neighbours, I'd be glad to have it
pointed out to me. ;-) In all seriousness, if he's young and busy and has
just asked them to keep the garden tidy, he's probably not even aware of the
problem and they're not bothering to get out ladders and do what they should
be doing, if he doesn't notice!

I think you're right: chances are, he hasn't noticed (the hedge isn't as
near to him as it is to us). At this point our side needs a trim too -
we'll get that done and then we'll tackle him about the height. It is
surprising in any case: he has shrubberies and flowerbeds on his side,
and they are much shadier than they need to be....

thanks for the Dutch courage...

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 21-07-2007, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/7/07 20:41, in article , "Klara"
wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes
On 21/7/07 16:22, in article
, "Klara"
wrote:

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
Sacha writes:
| On 21/7/07 14:10, in article
,
"Klara"
| wrote:
|
| On the side that is the neighbour's (thankfully to the East), he once
| didn't top it for 10-12 years. It had shot up to well over our (high)
| bedroom windows, to maybe near 25-30 feet.... It has now not been cut
| again for 5 or so years, but we're on good terms with them and don't
| like to say anything....
|
| Not even, "could WE take a bit off the top of your hedge so that we can
look
| out of the bedroom"?

Or even, if it is your hedge, "Do you mind if we come round and trim
your side of our hedge?"

We did that when our next door neighbours were an elderly couple.
They were actually very happy for me to include much of their
Himalayan Giant in that ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Unfortunately he is not only younger than we are, but he also has two
men working for him, in part in his garden, so any such suggestion from
the elderly neighbours might come across as a bit ... umm ...
embarrassing?

Reasonable, I'd say. If I had two men working in my garden and they didn't
keep the hedge cut to accommodate my nice neighbours, I'd be glad to have it
pointed out to me. ;-) In all seriousness, if he's young and busy and has
just asked them to keep the garden tidy, he's probably not even aware of the
problem and they're not bothering to get out ladders and do what they should
be doing, if he doesn't notice!

I think you're right: chances are, he hasn't noticed (the hedge isn't as
near to him as it is to us). At this point our side needs a trim too -
we'll get that done and then we'll tackle him about the height. It is
surprising in any case: he has shrubberies and flowerbeds on his side,
and they are much shadier than they need to be....

thanks for the Dutch courage...

Just reading what you say, it does seem to be a simple case of 'young, busy
and unaware' - definitely not 'unkind or nasty'. Two people looking after a
garden and paid for it really should be aware of hedges, so a quiet word
should alert him to the fact that he is NOT getting value for money in that
area, at least. In the end, he could very well be grateful to you for
showing him - obliquely - what he's paying for and what he's actually
getting.
Had you thought of having a little party in your garden for those neighbours
and e.g. 4 neighbouring houses, which would allow him to see what it's like
if he's standing right under your mutual boundary?
Could you let urg know the outcome because it might be informative to
others? It is certainly a topic that recurs over and over again.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
(remove weeds from address)
children.'

Greenshutters Tree Nursery Offers Laurel Hedging Plants aspector Gardening 0 30-11-2010 12:24 AM
Laurel hedging alanbrook Gardening 2 06-08-2010 02:10 AM
Laurel Hedging malcolm Gardening 0 27-10-2005 10:55 AM
Beech or Hornbeam for hedging - is there much difference? Plus, holly hedging opinions please! Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 3 24-08-2004 05:32 PM
Hedging DaveDay34 United Kingdom 4 25-11-2002 01:30 AM