Old 21-07-2007, 10:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Shredders

"WaltA" wrote in message
On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 23:16:27 +0100, Hugh Jampton wrote:
On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 18:12:24 GMT, WaltA wrote:

I may be out of date because it is many many years since I bought my
Allen shredder.

We've had an Allen shredder for 13+ years. Can't fault it for the amount

of
shredding we do (*lots*).

Yep, 25+ in my case I think, mists of time anyway Very pleased with
it.

Dunno what we'd have done without it. Only
problem - it cost a fortune (several hundred £££).

Yep, a bit eyewatering but that wasnt in OP's spec ! But worth every
penny !!
The spares are not cheap either. Mind u , Ive only ever wanted one and
that was the flexi cover over the inlet to the chipper chute, wise old
bird that I am I priced it first - and have used it ever since without
one !!

would advise anyone who doesn't have masses of stuff to shread to look

for
something cheaper.

But the OP wanted one that will gobble lots of stuff without needing
to slowly feed it in handfulls, I cant think of another ???you?
A Viking one had a smallish chute, better than the usual slots and
small tubes, but still not up to the wide hopper of the Allen

Makes feeding it a doddle, and it can be tilted over to ground level
so you can sweep and rake stuff like fallen leaves and hedge trimmings
etc into it without needing to pick up first.
( keeping a sharp lookout for where you left your secateurs and things
!! )

Quickest way for small stuff is to run a rotary mower over it, just use the
Bosch to process the heavier branches which is does well.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk