Old 20-07-2007, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Shredders

My Bosch electric shredder works fine, however I have a lot off hedging,
feeding it the clippings a "handful" at a time is laborious to say the
least. Any opinions on a shredder which will gulp up hedge cuttings
please? It does not need to be able to deal with thick branches.
Old 20-07-2007, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 20, 3:07 pm, Broadback wrote:
My Bosch electric shredder works fine, however I have a lot off hedging,
feeding it the clippings a "handful" at a time is laborious to say the
least. Any opinions on a shredder which will gulp up hedge cuttings
please? It does not need to be able to deal with thick branches.

If I don't have too much then I put my old flymo mower to use.

Old 20-07-2007, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 15:07:44 +0100, Broadback
wrote:

My Bosch electric shredder works fine, however I have a lot off hedging,
feeding it the clippings a "handful" at a time is laborious to say the
least. Any opinions on a shredder which will gulp up hedge cuttings
please? It does not need to be able to deal with thick branches.

I may be out of date because it is many many years since I bought my
Allen shredder.
I had the same problem as you when I was 'auditioning' various models.

The Allen and the Lawnflight 5hp (a bit OTT for just hedge prunings,
but stay with me) shredders were similar and were the only ones with
large open hopper that one could stuff copious quantities of things
into. (including your arm ** up to the elbow if you were not paying
attention !)

The Lawnflight had an unfortunate short angled throat between the
hopper and the blades which would get 'bunged up' and form an
impediment.
The Allen hopper fed directly to the nasty blades, very efficient,
especially if one removed a short 'stub' flap part way down ( but I
wouldnt suggest that, would I ?)

The more recent models come with an impractical large stout wire mesh
guard on top of the hopper.
But it is (used to be?) just bolted on,,,,,
For example ( just the first that turned up when I googled)
http://www.mowdirect.co.uk/acatalog/...DERS_1100.html

** but you can use a stick or branch instead and it will gobble that
up as well

Old 20-07-2007, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 18:12:24 GMT, WaltA wrote:

I may be out of date because it is many many years since I bought my
Allen shredder.

We've had an Allen shredder for 13+ years. Can't fault it for the amount of
shredding we do (*lots*). Dunno what we'd have done without it. Only
problem - it cost a fortune (several hundred £££). Would buy one again but
would advise anyone who doesn't have masses of stuff to shread to look for
something cheaper.
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton
Old 20-07-2007, 11:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 23:16:27 +0100, Hugh Jampton wrote:
On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 18:12:24 GMT, WaltA wrote:

I may be out of date because it is many many years since I bought my
Allen shredder.

We've had an Allen shredder for 13+ years. Can't fault it for the amount of
shredding we do (*lots*).

Yep, 25+ in my case I think, mists of time anyway Very pleased with
it.

Dunno what we'd have done without it. Only
problem - it cost a fortune (several hundred £££).

Yep, a bit eyewatering but that wasnt in OP's spec ! But worth every
penny !!
The spares are not cheap either. Mind u , Ive only ever wanted one and
that was the flexi cover over the inlet to the chipper chute, wise old
bird that I am I priced it first - and have used it ever since without
one !!

would advise anyone who doesn't have masses of stuff to shread to look for
something cheaper.

But the OP wanted one that will gobble lots of stuff without needing
to slowly feed it in handfulls, I cant think of another ???you?
A Viking one had a smallish chute, better than the usual slots and
small tubes, but still not up to the wide hopper of the Allen

Makes feeding it a doddle, and it can be tilted over to ground level
so you can sweep and rake stuff like fallen leaves and hedge trimmings
etc into it without needing to pick up first.
( keeping a sharp lookout for where you left your secateurs and things
!! )

Old 21-07-2007, 10:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"WaltA" wrote in message
[...]

Quickest way for small stuff is to run a rotary mower over it, just use the
Bosch to process the heavier branches which is does well.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 21-07-2007, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Charlie Pridham wrote:
"WaltA" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks folk, food for thought.
Old 21-07-2007, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
My Bosch electric shredder works fine, however I have a lot off hedging,
feeding it the clippings a "handful" at a time is laborious to say the
least. Any opinions on a shredder which will gulp up hedge cuttings
please? It does not need to be able to deal with thick branches.

For hedge cuttings I find my Billy Goat a godsend, not the smelly animal
type you understand but the petrol powered garden vacuum type. It sucks them
up, then chops them up, and packs them into a bag for dumping on the compost
heap.

Mike