Old 21-07-2007, 11:56 AM posted to rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz Pat Kiewicz is offline

Default Earwigs on my vegetables and flowers

LSD said:

Thanks to all 3 responders. I would not have guessed Murphy's, but
happen to have some so I'll try it this weekend. Question for Pat. If
I do have raccoons or skunks, will they eat the earwigs in the oil,
thus helping me out in the pest elimination?

The earwigs in the oil traps will already be dead, so no, they will not
be aiding you in your effort. Toads will eat earwigs (at night) and
starlings (bah!) are the only birds I've ever seen actively hunting earwigs.
(I've seen them tap on the garage siding to flush the earwigs out.)

You don't want to let those go unemptied for too long, as the accumulating
earwig corpses will start to stink like some much larger dead animal.

(attributed to Don Marti)