Old 19-07-2007, 05:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
LSD LSD is offline

Default Earwigs on my vegetables and flowers

Hi, I'm new to this group, just subscribed. I live in the Chicago
area. I'm hoping to learn what others are doing to get rid of or
control earwigs on vegetables and flowers. We have 2 dogs so I don't
want to do anything that might hurt them. Someone recently told me to
make a mixture of water and plain dish soap and spray the affected
plants. Unfortunately, they did not know the ratio of water to soap.
Does anyone know the ratio? Also, I wouldn't think this solution would
be a problem for the dogs or anyone eating the vegetables, but it
would be nice to get others opinions.
Thanks for any help

Old 19-07-2007, 09:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 19, 12:17?pm, LSD wrote:
Hi, I'm new to this group, just subscribed. I live in the Chicago
area. I'm hoping to learn what others are doing to get rid of or
control earwigs on vegetables and flowers. We have 2 dogs so I don't
want to do anything that might hurt them. Someone recently told me to
make a mixture of water and plain dish soap and spray the affected
plants. Unfortunately, they did not know the ratio of water to soap.
Does anyone know the ratio? Also, I wouldn't think this solution would
be a problem for the dogs or anyone eating the vegetables, but it
would be nice to get others opinions.
Thanks for any help

Spray with a solution of water and Murphy Oil Soap; a Tbs soap to one
quart water. Murphy is a non toxic natural soap.

Old 20-07-2007, 11:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

LSD said:

Hi, I'm new to this group, just subscribed. I live in the Chicago
area. I'm hoping to learn what others are doing to get rid of or
control earwigs on vegetables and flowers. We have 2 dogs so I don't
want to do anything that might hurt them. Someone recently told me to
make a mixture of water and plain dish soap and spray the affected
plants. Unfortunately, they did not know the ratio of water to soap.
Does anyone know the ratio? Also, I wouldn't think this solution would
be a problem for the dogs or anyone eating the vegetables, but it
would be nice to get others opinions.
Thanks for any help

Regarding soap, either use Murphy's soap as Sheldon described,
or buy specificly insecticidal soap and follow the manufacturer's
instructions. (Insecticidal soap has been formulated to have less
potential to damage foliage. Some formulations of soap are sold
as herbicides.)

As for using the soap spray, it only kills them with direct contact.
So, spray the *plants* at night, when the earwigs are feeding.
During the day, spray the places they may be hiding (under bark
mulch, cracks and crevises in wood structures, etc.).

You can also lay out traps for them:

Sink a plastic tub into theground and bait it with a littl soy sauce covered
with a layer of vegetable oil. Cut a hole in the lid and cover it. The
earwigs will crawl in and die. Empty and repeat at intervals. (If you
have lots of skunks and racoons in the yard, they sometime go after the
oil in the traps.)

Lay out pieces of old garden hose (dampen the inside) or roll up slightly
damp newspaper and set them out overnight. In the morning, tap them
out over a bucket of soapy water.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 20-07-2007, 01:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

LSD wrote:
Hi, I'm new to this group, just subscribed. I live in the Chicago
area. I'm hoping to learn what others are doing to get rid of or
control earwigs on vegetables and flowers. We have 2 dogs so I don't
want to do anything that might hurt them. Someone recently told me to
make a mixture of water and plain dish soap and spray the affected
plants. Unfortunately, they did not know the ratio of water to soap.
Does anyone know the ratio? Also, I wouldn't think this solution would
be a problem for the dogs or anyone eating the vegetables, but it
would be nice to get others opinions.
Thanks for any help

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2068.html
You are wise to worry about pets. My wife nearly did in our cat
spraying kitchen for ants.
Frank
Old 20-07-2007, 10:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
LSD LSD is offline

On Jul 20, 5:52 am, (Pat Kiewicz) wrote:
LSD said:

[...]

Thanks to all 3 responders. I would not have guessed Murphy's, but
happen to have some so I'll try it this weekend. Question for Pat. If
I do have raccoons or skunks, will they eat the earwigs in the oil,
thus helping me out in the pest elimination?
LSD

Old 21-07-2007, 11:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

LSD said:

Thanks to all 3 responders. I would not have guessed Murphy's, but
happen to have some so I'll try it this weekend. Question for Pat. If
I do have raccoons or skunks, will they eat the earwigs in the oil,
thus helping me out in the pest elimination?

The earwigs in the oil traps will already be dead, so no, they will not
be aiding you in your effort. Toads will eat earwigs (at night) and
starlings (bah!) are the only birds I've ever seen actively hunting earwigs.
(I've seen them tap on the garage siding to flush the earwigs out.)

You don't want to let those go unemptied for too long, as the accumulating
earwig corpses will start to stink like some much larger dead animal.

(attributed to Don Marti)

[IMG] code is On

earwigs and corn Todd Gardening 7 03-09-2011 06:21 AM
Woodlice and now also earwigs More to Wiggle United Kingdom 11 02-07-2003 06:09 PM
systemic for earwigs and rust Me Roses 3 19-05-2003 03:08 PM
Earwigs on my Lemon Tree Chris Warr Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:33 AM
Earwigs arien Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:33 AM