Old 21-07-2007, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Laurel hedging

On 21/7/07 16:22, in article , "Klara"
wrote:

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
Sacha writes:
| On 21/7/07 14:10, in article
,
"Klara"
| wrote:
|
| On the side that is the neighbour's (thankfully to the East), he once
| didn't top it for 10-12 years. It had shot up to well over our (high)
| bedroom windows, to maybe near 25-30 feet.... It has now not been cut
| again for 5 or so years, but we're on good terms with them and don't
| like to say anything....
|
| Not even, "could WE take a bit off the top of your hedge so that we can
look
| out of the bedroom"?

Or even, if it is your hedge, "Do you mind if we come round and trim
your side of our hedge?"

We did that when our next door neighbours were an elderly couple.
They were actually very happy for me to include much of their
Himalayan Giant in that ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Unfortunately he is not only younger than we are, but he also has two
men working for him, in part in his garden, so any such suggestion from
the elderly neighbours might come across as a bit ... umm ...
embarrassing?

Reasonable, I'd say. If I had two men working in my garden and they didn't
keep the hedge cut to accommodate my nice neighbours, I'd be glad to have it
pointed out to me. ;-) In all seriousness, if he's young and busy and has
just asked them to keep the garden tidy, he's probably not even aware of the
problem and they're not bothering to get out ladders and do what they should
be doing, if he doesn't notice!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk