Old 21-07-2007, 11:10 PM posted to rec.gardens
Amos Nomore Amos Nomore is offline

Default Can I lime now?

In article .com,
John wrote:

On Jul 21, 3:38 pm, Amos Nomore wrote:
In article .com,

John wrote:
I've been reading up on lime and one web site says to put lime down in
fall and spring. I'm in the Atlanta area with a soil ph of 5.5. My
yard is beautiful with expensive fescue sod that is 1.5 years old.
Can I put down lime now (in July)?

Yes. Use granular dolomite lime or pelletized calcium carbonate, not
hydrated or burned lime. It's best to apply lime to lawns soon after
thatching and plug aeration.

In the past year and a half, I've aerated twice. The grass in the
backyard has really started responding. Should I aerate my sodded
area? Aerating is what I'm planning on doing this fall.

If the sod looks really good, I'd wait until it's nice and cool outside
for everything.