Old 22-07-2007, 05:11 AM posted to austin.gardening
Dave Dave is offline

Default Maters or watermelon

"jangchub" wrote in message
On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 15:24:20 GMT, "Dave"
wrote:

Got big boys and better boys. The latter are transplants from Lowes
garden
center. The former are from seed. Some of the big boys are ones with
problems. Basically, in the short periods we didn't have rain, I soaked
the
garden ditch style. Otherwise, no irrigation. Haven't fertilized since
late winter. Will probably go with the heavy pruning idea. Pull up the
ones in trouble.

That's what I did. Just don't remove all the foliage or it won't be
able to photosynthesize. This year I bought two tomatoes from
"Gardens" on 35th St. Both called 'Mexico.' I suppose or hope anyway
that I'll see some fruit in the fall. The plants are the healthiest
I've ever had. The thing I did differently this year was to make
compost and use 1/2 of it mixed with very good potting mix. I added
Ladybug Brand fertilizer into the mix in containers, then mulched the
plants in containers with crushed granite. I think the granite was
very beneficial. I did the same with my 'Ichiban' eggplant and those
are producing repeatedly and are healthy.

No big deal. Climatology and energy conservation is high interest for me.
As it should be for everyone.

Reason for climate change, global warming and so forth is interesting
ongoing debate. 2 things occur for a conclusion. The first is if the
evidence is accurate. The second is a conclusion based on that evidence.
The 2nd one, a conclusion, seems to be what's most debated. Usually, its
the evidence that's most suspect in reaching a conclusion.

There is scientific evidence, chasms in the glaciers, trees falling
over because the permafrost is melting and many other factual data to
draw upon. What could possibly be the purpose for anyone to lie about
it? Or fudge evidence or data? That's the part I am in the Twilight
Zone about.

There is little debate about the evidence as I previously noted. Some
people can't make the conclusion based on the evidence. They don't debate
the evidence. This (in my book anyway) is called making a leap of faith.
They can't come to the conclusion that's logical in my book. In such
debates about such a conclusion, I sense fear of change and pocketbook loss
by such naysayers.

"Same as it ever was" - Red hot chili peppers

Dave