Old 22-07-2007, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Herb Cuttings Questions

In article .com, Oli Watts writes:
| Hi All,
|
| I've just moved into a lovely house and discovered some excellent
| herbs in the garden, however they were almost overgrown with weeds.
|
| I've taken some complete rocket, lemon sage and chive plants and some
| fennel cuttings, and replanted them straight in the soil. I've given
| them a good watering but after a day they still look very listless.
| Would it be best to cut them down so they regrow?

Of those, only sage will take from cuttings, and it is easier to
propagate by latering; taking cuttings of herbaceous plants (the
others) is typically a job for experts. Rocket is an annual or
biennial, and has to be grown from seed, chives and fennel are
propagated by division. Rocket loathes transplanting, and so does
sage as soon as it is any age.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.