Old 22-07-2007, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Herb Cuttings Questions

Hi All,

I've just moved into a lovely house and discovered some excellent
herbs in the garden, however they were almost overgrown with weeds.

I've taken some complete rocket, lemon sage and chive plants and some
fennel cuttings, and replanted them straight in the soil. I've given
them a good watering but after a day they still look very listless.
Would it be best to cut them down so they regrow?

I'm a complete novice (as the above may show) so any help you can
offer would be grand.

All the best,

Oli

Old 22-07-2007, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22 Jul, 11:10, Oli Watts wrote:
I've just moved into a lovely house and discovered some excellent
herbs in the garden, however they were almost overgrown with weeds.
I've taken some complete rocket, lemon sage and chive plants and some
fennel cuttings, and replanted them straight in the soil. I've given
them a good watering but after a day they still look very listless.
Would it be best to cut them down so they regrow?

What is done is done - but why didn't you remove the weeds instead of
the plants!? You are right in suggesting to cut them down. I would.
But not sure a cutting from the fennel will work. Herbs are cheap and
easy grown from seeds. Just sow some more seeds around what you have
replanted to satisfy your supply. And be patient ;o)

Old 22-07-2007, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 22, 11:41 am, La Puce wrote:
On 22 Jul, 11:10, Oli Watts wrote:

I've just moved into a lovely house and discovered some excellent
herbs in the garden, however they were almost overgrown with weeds.
I've taken some complete rocket, lemon sage and chive plants and some
fennel cuttings, and replanted them straight in the soil. I've given
them a good watering but after a day they still look very listless.
Would it be best to cut them down so they regrow?

What is done is done - but why didn't you remove the weeds instead of
the plants!? You are right in suggesting to cut them down. I would.
But not sure a cutting from the fennel will work. Herbs are cheap and
easy grown from seeds. Just sow some more seeds around what you have
replanted to satisfy your supply. And be patient ;o)

Thanks very much for getting back to me quickly!

I suppose i got over excited after moving from a tiny flat to a lovely
garden. I'm a frustrated gardener you see!!

To ask another question, are there any good, cheap online sources of
seeds you could recommend?

Many thanks,

Oli

Old 22-07-2007, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22 Jul, 11:44, Oli Watts wrote:
I suppose i got over excited after moving from a tiny flat to a lovely
garden. I'm a frustrated gardener you see!!

)) I have these urges too you know. I make the most monumental
mistakes - but it's all part of the process of learning. Keeps me busy
rectifying the strange things I've done without thinking. The only
advice I'd give you is that you understand what and why a plant (or
weed) is growing where it is. Sometimes nature do the most lovely
things and plants can live happily together even though you might
think one is a 'weed'. Some might attract predators and help you keep
pests down. It takes a couple of years into a new garden to understand
how it all works together. I think that the best part of a new garden.
You are so so lucky!!

To ask another question, are there any good, cheap online sources of
seeds you could recommend?

I like the organic catalogue - I've never been disapointed. Also the
green chronicle is good for special herb seeds. You've just reminded
me about arnica seeds which I must sow this autumn. Thank you ;o)

http://www.organiccatalog.com/catalo...Path=21_49_136
http://www.greenchronicle.co.uk/acat...erb_Seeds.html

Old 22-07-2007, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article .com, Oli Watts writes:
| Hi All,
|
| I've just moved into a lovely house and discovered some excellent
| herbs in the garden, however they were almost overgrown with weeds.
|
| I've taken some complete rocket, lemon sage and chive plants and some
| fennel cuttings, and replanted them straight in the soil. I've given
| them a good watering but after a day they still look very listless.
| Would it be best to cut them down so they regrow?

Of those, only sage will take from cuttings, and it is easier to
propagate by latering; taking cuttings of herbaceous plants (the
others) is typically a job for experts. Rocket is an annual or
biennial, and has to be grown from seed, chives and fennel are
propagated by division. Rocket loathes transplanting, and so does
sage as soon as it is any age.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 22-07-2007, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/7/07 11:44, in article
, "Oli Watts"
wrote:

[...]

Jekka McVicar is a truly excellent source of herbs, both seeds and plants.
Even if you don't buy from there you'll learn a lot and there's a
downloadable catalogue.
http://www.jekkasherbfarm.com/index.asp

--
Sacha