Old 01-04-2003, 05:20 AM
Susan Solomon

Default Help! Rust!!

Greetings, fellow rose-lovers
I have a problem and a question. This year I was late in pruning.
(2-15-03 ... very late here in Santa Barbara, where it never freezes, and
where our city rose garden is pruned on 1-15) And unfortunately, I didn't
dormant-spray immediately after I pruned the roses. I did defoliate all of
them after pruning, and raked up the leaves. Well, now my beauties are
bursting with vigorous new leafy growth and buds ... and rust!!!

Is it too late to spray dormant oil? What is my best alternative? The new
growth is very tender; I am afraid that anything I spray will burn the
leaves.

One alternative that I thought of would be to go ahead and spray with
dormant oil, then cover the plants with 50 percent shadecloth for a few
days. Would that keep them from burning? Any other ideas or suggestions?

very shamefaced,
Sue in SoCal