Old 01-04-2003, 05:20 AM
Susan Solomon

Default Help! Rust!!

Greetings, fellow rose-lovers
I have a problem and a question. This year I was late in pruning.
(2-15-03 ... very late here in Santa Barbara, where it never freezes, and
where our city rose garden is pruned on 1-15) And unfortunately, I didn't
dormant-spray immediately after I pruned the roses. I did defoliate all of
them after pruning, and raked up the leaves. Well, now my beauties are
bursting with vigorous new leafy growth and buds ... and rust!!!

Is it too late to spray dormant oil? What is my best alternative? The new
growth is very tender; I am afraid that anything I spray will burn the
leaves.

One alternative that I thought of would be to go ahead and spray with
dormant oil, then cover the plants with 50 percent shadecloth for a few
days. Would that keep them from burning? Any other ideas or suggestions?

very shamefaced,
Sue in SoCal

Old 01-04-2003, 07:08 AM
Cass

In article , Susan Solomon
wrote:

Greetings, fellow rose-lovers
I have a problem and a question. This year I was late in pruning.
(2-15-03 ... very late here in Santa Barbara, where it never freezes, and
where our city rose garden is pruned on 1-15) And unfortunately, I didn't
dormant-spray immediately after I pruned the roses. I did defoliate all of
them after pruning, and raked up the leaves. Well, now my beauties are
bursting with vigorous new leafy growth and buds ... and rust!!!

Is it too late to spray dormant oil? What is my best alternative? The new
growth is very tender; I am afraid that anything I spray will burn the
leaves.

One alternative that I thought of would be to go ahead and spray with
dormant oil, then cover the plants with 50 percent shadecloth for a few
days. Would that keep them from burning? Any other ideas or suggestions?

First, considering how hot it is, maybe the rust will die off by
itself. Second, there is a lighter weight horticultural oil intended
for warmer weather use. Look for Ultra fine. I've never had much luck
with oil sprays on foliage, to tell the truth. I've never done it for
long, but what I did do, didn't seem to work. Third, if you are willing
to spray, maybe you should consider a fungicide that is really
effective for rust. Take a look at www.rosecare.com or Rosemania. My
personal approach is to put up with it or yank them.
Old 01-04-2003, 07:32 AM
Radika Kesavan

Cass wrote:
In article , Susan
Solomon wrote:

Greetings, fellow rose-lovers I have a problem and a question. This
year I was late in pruning. (2-15-03 ... very late here in Santa
Barbara, where it never freezes, and where our city rose garden is
pruned on 1-15) And unfortunately, I didn't dormant-spray
immediately after I pruned the roses. I did defoliate all of them
after pruning, and raked up the leaves. Well, now my beauties are
bursting with vigorous new leafy growth and buds ... and rust!!!

.... Any other ideas or suggestions?

.... My personal approach is to put up with it or yank them.

Susan, on the rare occasion I have had to battle with rust (it is
usually in El Nino years when I have been lax about pruning), my
approach has been also what Cass suggests. Out here, in the dryish part
of Santa Clara County, this approach works. After all, we have such a
long growing season - and you even longer than we do - that the roses
seem to shake off the rust and go their merry way soon enough if I yank
all the rusted leaves. A little patience, that is all it seems to take,
and I prefer that to the alternatives.

--
Radika
California

Old 01-04-2003, 05:56 PM
Susan Solomon

"Radika Kesavan" wrote in message
Cass wrote:
In article , Susan
Solomon wrote:

[...]

Thanks to both of you two! Well, patience might be best, since I've only got
two or three at this point that seem to be affected (Oregold, JFK and
Chicago Peace). But I sure don't want it to spread to the others!

I am still watering my roses individually with a hose; I have a new rose
bed, and my drip system isn't in yet. The Rosecare.com site Cass mentioned
pointed out that also might be adding to the problem.
(Could it be ... I'm the problem!! :-( )

Thanks for all your help!

Sue in SoCal
(I love this group!!)

Old 02-04-2003, 02:08 AM
JimS.

"Susan Solomon" wrote in message
.. .

"Radika Kesavan" wrote in message
Cass wrote:
In article , Susan
Solomon wrote:

[...]

I had JFK till just recently, when I orphaned it to the city parking strip.
It tended to get spots for me-- I don't think we get rust here in Seattle.
It never really did much in the way of thriving-- didn't die but sure didn't
bloom much--so I didn't mourn it's re-location. If your experience w/ JFK
is similar to mine-- pitch it. I replaced it with Iceberg, which from what
I hear is a much more prolific and healthy rose.
Not really what you asked, but my 2c worth anyway... :Þ

JimS.

Old 02-04-2003, 11:44 AM
Jane Lumley

In the UK I pull and burn affected leaves, and then spray them with
Systhane or Dithane. I had one with bad rust last year (a containerised
plant from a nursery, grrr - but it's a lovely nursery otherwise) and
it's now doing well.
--
Jane Lumley
Old 03-04-2003, 03:20 AM
Susan Solomon

One of the reasons I got JFK (cheap container plant from a hardware store)
was because our local public rose garden has a section of JFK, and they're
tall and beautiful, great bloomers! We shall see.

After checking the rose bed again, the actual worst rust offender is
Ultimate Pink. This one doesn't seem to live up to its billing ... the first
one I had died before coming out of dormancy, and this one (purchased last
year as a blooming 5-gal plant) isn't particularly healthy or vigorous.

I've pulled off and destroyed all the offending rusty leaves, and I've also
stopped watering every other day, so maybe the problem will lessen!

Well, thank you all for your advice!
Sue in SoCal