Old 22-07-2007, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Lily beetle

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...
My lily flowers have been eaten to nothing. I blamed slugs but on GQT
today (I don't normally listen) someone asked a question about lily
beetles and I wondered if my problem could have been due to that pest
rather than slugs.

I intend googling but has anyone here anything to offer about the
subject?
TIA
Mary

Lily beetles are bright red - you can't miss them. They also leave
brownish excrement round the stems. Best to squash them if you see any!
Jenny

Yes, that's what was said. I looked very carefully but couldn't see any
evidence of adults or larvae.

On the RHS and other websites it's said that the leaves are eaten. The
leaves on my lilies are perfect, it's just the petals.

Perhaps it's something else ...

Mary