Old 22-07-2007, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lily beetle

My lily flowers have been eaten to nothing. I blamed slugs but on GQT today
(I don't normally listen) someone asked a question about lily beetles and I
wondered if my problem could have been due to that pest rather than slugs.

I intend googling but has anyone here anything to offer about the subject?

TIA

Mary

Old 22-07-2007, 08:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...
My lily flowers have been eaten to nothing. I blamed slugs but on GQT
today (I don't normally listen) someone asked a question about lily
beetles and I wondered if my problem could have been due to that pest
rather than slugs.

I intend googling but has anyone here anything to offer about the subject?
TIA
Mary

Lily beetles are bright red - you can't miss them. They also leave brownish
excrement round the stems. Best to squash them if you see any!
Jenny

Old 22-07-2007, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...
My lily flowers have been eaten to nothing. I blamed slugs but on GQT
today (I don't normally listen) someone asked a question about lily
beetles and I wondered if my problem could have been due to that pest
rather than slugs.

I intend googling but has anyone here anything to offer about the
subject?
TIA
Mary

Lily beetles are bright red - you can't miss them. They also leave
brownish excrement round the stems. Best to squash them if you see any!
Jenny

Yes, that's what was said. I looked very carefully but couldn't see any
evidence of adults or larvae.

On the RHS and other websites it's said that the leaves are eaten. The
leaves on my lilies are perfect, it's just the petals.

Perhaps it's something else ...

Mary

Old 22-07-2007, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Mary Fisher writes

"JennyC" wrote in message

[...]

Same with mine. I'm blaming snails, on the grounds that a couple of
weeks back my irises had snails sitting on the flowers munching away. If
they can do that to irises, they can do it to lilies.
--
Kay
Old 22-07-2007, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 22, 8:37 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
ts or larvae.

On the RHS and other websites it's said that the leaves are eaten. The
leaves on my lilies are perfect, it's just the petals.

Perhaps it's something else ...

I have the same problem Mary and it is not Lily beetle although I do
have that in France, very badly. In this garden it is, I am sure,
slugs but I would be grateful if anyone can confirm.
Judith

Old 22-07-2007, 11:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 20:16:09 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

My lily flowers have been eaten to nothing. I blamed slugs but on GQT today
(I don't normally listen) someone asked a question about lily beetles and I
wondered if my problem could have been due to that pest rather than slugs.

I intend googling but has anyone here anything to offer about the subject?

In my experience the leaves do get eaten rather than flowers. Could
be slugs, snails or earwigs?
Earlier in the summer (what summer!) I looked for the red beetles on
the leaves, often on the undersides. If you touch the plant the
beetle drops to the ground, lands on its back, and thus is almost
invisible because of its black underside. Hence Pippa's suggestion to
use something white to hold under the leaves, before tapping the
plant. Catch the beetle on the paper and then squash it.
The larvae hide themselves in what looks like bird droppings on the
leaves. Squash those, to prevent another generation of beetles.

If you don't mind spraying, Ultimate Bug Killer is very effective as a
preventative. I usually spray my lilies about once a month but have
not done so recently because of the rain. Next time it's dry I'd
better check my plants!

Anyone who wants the GQT info, and missed the prog can hear the repeat
on Weds at 3 or go to Listen Again on the GQT website.

Pam in Bristol
Old 23-07-2007, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message

Lily beetles are bright red - you can't miss them. They also leave
brownish excrement round the stems. Best to squash them if you see any!
Jenny

Yes, that's what was said. I looked very carefully but couldn't see any
evidence of adults or larvae.

On the RHS and other websites it's said that the leaves are eaten. The
leaves on my lilies are perfect, it's just the petals.

Same with mine. I'm blaming snails, on the grounds that a couple of weeks
back my irises had snails sitting on the flowers munching away. If they
can do that to irises, they can do it to lilies.
--
Kay

The hens usually deal with the snails but I'm pleased that I'm not
necessarily on the wrong lines, thanks.

Mary

Lily Beetle '09 Pam Moore[_2_] United Kingdom 2 29-04-2009 11:14 PM
Scarlet Lily Beetle monitoring Elizabeth United Kingdom 19 09-07-2003 10:08 PM
Scarlet Lily Beetle monitoring Elizabeth United Kingdom 1 25-06-2003 06:32 PM
Red Lily Beetle Trevor United Kingdom 3 05-06-2003 02:44 PM
Lily beetle again Pam Moore United Kingdom 4 24-03-2003 09:32 PM