Old 22-07-2007, 11:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore Pam Moore is offline

Default Lily beetle

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 20:16:09 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

My lily flowers have been eaten to nothing. I blamed slugs but on GQT today
(I don't normally listen) someone asked a question about lily beetles and I
wondered if my problem could have been due to that pest rather than slugs.

I intend googling but has anyone here anything to offer about the subject?

In my experience the leaves do get eaten rather than flowers. Could
be slugs, snails or earwigs?
Earlier in the summer (what summer!) I looked for the red beetles on
the leaves, often on the undersides. If you touch the plant the
beetle drops to the ground, lands on its back, and thus is almost
invisible because of its black underside. Hence Pippa's suggestion to
use something white to hold under the leaves, before tapping the
plant. Catch the beetle on the paper and then squash it.
The larvae hide themselves in what looks like bird droppings on the
leaves. Squash those, to prevent another generation of beetles.

If you don't mind spraying, Ultimate Bug Killer is very effective as a
preventative. I usually spray my lilies about once a month but have
not done so recently because of the rain. Next time it's dry I'd
better check my plants!

Anyone who wants the GQT info, and missed the prog can hear the repeat
on Weds at 3 or go to Listen Again on the GQT website.

Pam in Bristol