Old 24-07-2007, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback Broadback is offline

Default **** Rabbits

Sacha wrote:
On 24/7/07 15:28, in article ,
"Jeanne Stockdale" wrote:

For the second time in less than a month, I have planted out some 20
cabbages and carefully netted over and around them but the rabbits have had
the lot. Add to that the problems with the weather, and our veg patch is
looking very sorry.

A friend solved the rabbit problem by putting close mesh wire fencing round
his patch and instead of burying it in the soil (where they will just burrow
underneath anyway), he has left it about 2-3" above ground. That way, they
don't know to burrow and try to just go under the fence and get zapped. It
works for him but as our veg patch is against the glasshouse, I am not sure
we can do the same.

So my question is - what veg won't rabbits go for? Our sweetcorn, onions and
broad beans seem to be intact but runner beans, peas, carrots, parsnips,
celery and lettuce have all been "rabbitted" - some worse than others.

Jeanne

Electric rabbit fencing.
http://www.electricfencing.co.uk/KeepOut.asp

As David wrote there is no need to bury the wire mesh, just bend it at
90 deg in the direction of attack. A fence makes sense, there is no
other 100% solution. Even then you need to inspect it periodically and
keep it growth. Works for me, before I even had to put guards on small
trees as they love the young bark!