Old 24-07-2007, 06:16 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

Default Water worms? Any concern?

To me this is the neatest part of ponding.
(Yes, I know some people think I need professional
help....)

When we filled our very first pond with water I went
out the next morning (coffee cup in hand) to enjoy
the fact that we had a pond and bask in the early
morning wonderfulness of it all.
No fish, no plants, no landscaping, no rocks, just
water in a liner.
And in the pond I found an aquatic insect of some
sort swimming around. It was probably a boatman
beetle and he had flown in overnight attracted by
the moonlight or starlight (or suburban lights but
moonlight and starlight is much more romantic)
reflected off the water in our new, raw pond.

I was so excited. Since then I have found all sorts
of critters who show up just because we put a body
of water out there for them. My all time favorite are
the rattail maggots...

k :-)