Old 21-07-2007, 11:49 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Water worms? Any concern?

Just pulled a plant out to repot it, and saw these little buggers on the
floor afterwards.. anything to be concerned about?

They are reddish brown, tapered at both ends, and are obviously worms of
some kind.

And I shall dub them "Mini Bobs" !

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 22-07-2007, 03:34 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote in message
. com...
mmmmmmmmmmm blood worms. fish find them choice food.

Cool. Free food! Blood Worms".. sounds icky!

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 23-07-2007, 03:45 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Smitty" wrote in message
Blood worms are a sign of a healthy pond.

Cool.. think I'll make sure I wear gloves though when puting around in it
though...

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 24-07-2007, 06:16 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

To me this is the neatest part of ponding.
(Yes, I know some people think I need professional
help....)

When we filled our very first pond with water I went
out the next morning (coffee cup in hand) to enjoy
the fact that we had a pond and bask in the early
morning wonderfulness of it all.
No fish, no plants, no landscaping, no rocks, just
water in a liner.
And in the pond I found an aquatic insect of some
sort swimming around. It was probably a boatman
beetle and he had flown in overnight attracted by
the moonlight or starlight (or suburban lights but
moonlight and starlight is much more romantic)
reflected off the water in our new, raw pond.

I was so excited. Since then I have found all sorts
of critters who show up just because we put a body
of water out there for them. My all time favorite are
the rattail maggots...

k :-)

Old 24-07-2007, 09:26 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"k" wrote in message
ups.com...
To me this is the neatest part of ponding.
(Yes, I know some people think I need professional
help....)

Well, we have all sorts of criiters here.. Praying mantis (and was saw a
huge number of babies last year), res crayfish, salamanders, flame
salamanders, frogs (we had a huge one out there right now), the occasional
relocation bound Bill, box turtles, Dragonflies, you name it. Always
something interesting to watch going out there.
--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 24-07-2007, 11:53 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I was so excited. Since then I have found all sorts
of critters who show up just because we put a body
of water out there for them. My all time favorite are
the rattail maggots...

k :-)

I thought of you when we found a frozen possum in
our veggie filter last winter - couldn't help but wonder
what you think of that. Apparently it visited the pond
for a drink and fell into the ice cold water and that
was the end of that possum.
Bonnie
NJ

Old 25-07-2007, 06:31 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

ahhhh, poor little critter.
My mother will tell you I probably would have
wanted to keep it. I was known for tucking away
wildlife in my bedroom ~ had mussels
from the beach hidden away in my closet. Mom
just followed her nose to find them. The eggs
under the pillow... (I thought they would hatch).

k :-)

Rate This Thread: