Old 25-07-2007, 08:15 AM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] galyles@leavethisout.blueyonder.co.uk is offline

Default shrub recommendation - salt tolerant, arborvitae like

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 01:23:36 -0000, socram
wrote:

I originally was going to put in a line of Arborvitae pyramidalis
(emerald green) along the east side of our church, but some more
research showed that the salt from the parking lot could make this a
poor choice. Can anyone point me to a shrub similar is shape
(upright, 3-4 ft diameter, good for a hedge perhaps eventually) that
is more salt tolerant? We're in MI, zone 6.

Thank you!
marcos

I don't have a specific recommendation. Escallonia is a salt-tolerant
shrub (forming a hedge that I have around my garden in the UK), but
after a little googling, here are links to a couple of pdf files that
may give you some ideas about a variety of salt-tolerant shrubs.

http://ucce.ucdavis.edu/files/fileli...5505/20066.pdf

http://www.ewburrownursery.co.uk/dow...references.PDF

Geoff