Old 25-07-2007, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CWatters CWatters is offline

Default Petrol mulching mower recommendations

"Barry" wrote in message
Honda make good mowers and the engines are good.
Also look at the John deere range I have recently bought a JD ride on

mower
that is a dedicated mulcher..............and with nearly an acre to cut

Its
fantastic.

The thought of the hassle that would have occurred if I had to dump the
grass every 5 mins
let alone the cubic yards of collected grass..........it would also have
made the process of cuttng the grass take twice as long.

I know JD have smaller dedicated mulching mowers.have a look.
its the way to go!

Barry

Yes agree about the hond engines. I've got one on an unbranded supermarket
rotary. It's at least 7 years old and probably nearer 10. If it doesn't
start first pull it means I forgot to turn the fuel or choke on.

Our nearest JD rep is also selling one of the Honda look alike machines.
Can't recall what their version is branded as.

I went for a Toro ride on for our one acre padock.. I looked at a JD
collector but the grass exit chute looked a bit narrower than others. Mind
you I didn't actually measure it. What sold me the Torro was a foot operated
lever so you can switch between mulch and collect without getting off the
machine. Handy when the box is full and you are the wrong end of the paddock
from the heap - not that I plan to collect it every time. I've also run it
over my lawn and it does a better job on that than I expected.