Old 25-07-2007, 08:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Petrol mulching mower recommendations

I should like to replace my very ancient Toro 21" electric-start mulching
mower with a similar one. It must be petrol/self propelled.

Has anyone any recommendations please?

Old 25-07-2007, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"sally H" wrote in message
om...
I should like to replace my very ancient Toro 21" electric-start mulching
mower with a similar one. It must be petrol/self propelled.

Has anyone any recommendations please?

Versamow

http://www.justlawnmowers.co.uk/page...RX_537_HME.htm

Available with or without electric start.

Old 25-07-2007, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Road_Hog®" wrote in message

"sally H" wrote in message
om...
I should like to replace my very ancient Toro 21" electric-start mulching
mower with a similar one. It must be petrol/self propelled.

Has anyone any recommendations please?

Versamow

http://www.justlawnmowers.co.uk/page...RX_537_HME.htm

Available with or without electric start.

Just for info... I was also looking at a 21" from Honda (except I was after
a collecting mower). Someone told me that Honda didn't make them themselves
and pointed me at what looked like an identical mower with an unheard of
brand label on it (same 5.5 HP Honda engine). At the time I didn't believe
him and went to look in other shops...but then I heard the story from
someone else and I spotted at least three other identical mowers all with
different brand names. The only one I recognised was from Lawnflite....

http://www.lawnflite.co.uk/walk_behinds_pro.html

I haven't yet worked out who is making these mowers but it might be worth
checking out.

The honda I looked at was £1100 list price and the unknown brand version was
around £720-£850.

One final note: Two versions of the mower were available - one with a
thicker metal chassis.

Old 25-07-2007, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Just for info... I was also looking at a 21" from Honda (except I was
after
a collecting mower). Someone told me that Honda didn't make them
themselves

One final note: Two versions of the mower were available - one with a
thicker metal chassis.

---------------------------------

Honda make good mowers and the engines are good.
Also look at the John deere range I have recently bought a JD ride on mower
that is a dedicated mulcher..............and with nearly an acre to cut Its
fantastic.

The thought of the hassle that would have occurred if I had to dump the
grass every 5 mins
let alone the cubic yards of collected grass..........it would also have
made the process of cuttng the grass take twice as long.

I know JD have smaller dedicated mulching mowers.have a look.
its the way to go!

Barry

Old 25-07-2007, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Barry" wrote in message
Honda make good mowers and the engines are good.
Also look at the John deere range I have recently bought a JD ride on

mower
that is a dedicated mulcher..............and with nearly an acre to cut

Its
fantastic.

The thought of the hassle that would have occurred if I had to dump the
grass every 5 mins
let alone the cubic yards of collected grass..........it would also have
made the process of cuttng the grass take twice as long.

I know JD have smaller dedicated mulching mowers.have a look.
its the way to go!

Barry

Yes agree about the hond engines. I've got one on an unbranded supermarket
rotary. It's at least 7 years old and probably nearer 10. If it doesn't
start first pull it means I forgot to turn the fuel or choke on.

Our nearest JD rep is also selling one of the Honda look alike machines.
Can't recall what their version is branded as.

I went for a Toro ride on for our one acre padock.. I looked at a JD
collector but the grass exit chute looked a bit narrower than others. Mind
you I didn't actually measure it. What sold me the Torro was a foot operated
lever so you can switch between mulch and collect without getting off the
machine. Handy when the box is full and you are the wrong end of the paddock
from the heap - not that I plan to collect it every time. I've also run it
over my lawn and it does a better job on that than I expected.

Old 25-07-2007, 11:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"sally H" wrote in message
om...
I should like to replace my very ancient Toro 21" electric-start mulching
mower with a similar one. It must be petrol/self propelled.

Has anyone any recommendations please?

Stiga.

http://www.stiga-online.com/buy-onli...Prod=23&xSec=1

Anthony

Old 26-07-2007, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anthony" wrote in message

"sally H" wrote in message
om...
I should like to replace my very ancient Toro 21" electric-start mulching
mower with a similar one. It must be petrol/self propelled.

Has anyone any recommendations please?

Stiga.

http://www.stiga-online.com/buy-onli...Prod=23&xSec=1

Anthony

Thanks for all the replies. I think I had better start saving! Interesting
about the Honda lookalikes though.

Old 26-07-2007, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

CWatters wrote:

"Barry" wrote in message
[...]

That's true of just about all modern mower engines. I have had
several machines with Briggs and Stratton 3.5 HP engines (which are
almost the industry standard) and they have always started first pull
as long as (as you say) the fuel is turned on and the choke is
applied.

--
Chris Green
Old 26-07-2007, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Barry
writes

[...]

Seconded!

I have raved on here once or twice about our JD with castor wheels,
bough at Chelsea some years back. The mower is excellent but the wheels
were a revelation with our higglety-pigglety lawns: just no comparison
in the amount of time and energy saved by both the mulching and the easy
turns. (The wheels can be locked to go in a straight line too.)

The only thing is, it cost a fraction then of what they seem to cost now
- I can't square this with the change in exchange rate, which should
have pushed them the other way....

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 26-07-2007, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"CWatters" wrote in message
Just for info... I was also looking at a 21" from Honda (except I was
after
a collecting mower). Someone told me that Honda didn't make them
themselves
and pointed me at what looked like an identical mower with an unheard of
brand label on it (same 5.5 HP Honda engine). At the time I didn't believe
him and went to look in other shops...but then I heard the story from
someone else and I spotted at least three other identical mowers all with
different brand names. The only one I recognised was from Lawnflite....

Well, someone & someone else don't know what they are talking about. Honda
make their own mowers and they can be found on the Honda UK website. They
also manufacture a huge range of industrial stationery engines which are
purchase by other companies to fit to their equipment.

So what you have are, Honda machines and Honda powered machines. Well known
companies selling mowers in the UK that use Honda engines are, Hayter,
Countax, Mountfield, Stiga, MTD/Lawnflite, Husqvarna, Masport, to name a
few.

Old 26-07-2007, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Barry" wrote in message

Honda make good mowers and the engines are good.
Also look at the John deere range I have recently bought a JD ride on
mower
that is a dedicated mulcher..............and with nearly an acre to cut
Its fantastic.

The thought of the hassle that would have occurred if I had to dump the
grass every 5 mins
let alone the cubic yards of collected grass..........it would also have
made the process of cuttng the grass take twice as long.

I know JD have smaller dedicated mulching mowers.have a look.
its the way to go!

Barry

Yep. JD are pretty good as well.

Old 26-07-2007, 09:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
CWatters wrote:
Yes agree about the hond engines. I've got one on an unbranded

supermarket
rotary. It's at least 7 years old and probably nearer 10. If it doesn't
start first pull it means I forgot to turn the fuel or choke on.

That's true of just about all modern mower engines. I have had
several machines with Briggs and Stratton 3.5 HP engines (which are
almost the industry standard) and they have always started first pull
as long as (as you say) the fuel is turned on and the choke is
applied.

Ah but I'm ashamed to say that my honda hasn't had a single service or oil
change in all that time :-)

Old 26-07-2007, 10:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Road_Hog®" wrote in message

"CWatters" wrote in message
[...]

So in that case Honda must be selling mowers to other companies who put
their name on them and sell them 25% cheaper. Even better.