Old 25-07-2007, 02:58 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Derek Broughton Derek Broughton is offline

Default Iris.. questions...

San Diego Joe wrote:

"Derek Broughton" wrote:

Now this brings up an iris question of my own. The Blue pseudacorus
irises
grow wild in barely damp soil around here. Shortly after they've
finished blooming (that would be now), the birds start leaving purple
droppings
everywhere. I suspect they're eating the iris seeds - can anyone confirm
that? I can't even tell you which birds are doing it.

Mine finished blooming about a month ago. I just went out to look, and the
seed pods are still green and pliable. The actual seeds won't be available
until the pod dries and pops open. I think your purple poop might be from
some other source. Also, if memory serves (and these days that is
questionable) I believe the seeds are black.

My seeds actually appear to be orange/red. Nothing else seems to have
produced berries of any kind yet, so I just can't imagine what else would
have a blue pigment.
--
derek