Old 24-07-2007, 09:25 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Iris.. questions...

Ok, after our Iris get flowers, they get a big pod where the flower was.. I
assume that where seeds are, but they always en up sinking into the water,
and rotting. Also, they only bloom the once every year.. any way to get them
to bloom of frequently? (Water lillies are always blooming from time to
time.)

Any idea how soon that pod can be cut off, so the seeds could be planted?

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 25-07-2007, 12:43 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Gareee© wrote:

Ok, after our Iris get flowers, they get a big pod where the flower was..
I assume that where seeds are, but they always en up sinking into the
water, and rotting. Also, they only bloom the once every year.. any way to
get them to bloom of frequently? (Water lillies are always blooming from
time to time.)

I'm pretty sure you can't make Irises (at least the kinds I've had in the
pond) bloom more than once a year.

Any idea how soon that pod can be cut off, so the seeds could be planted?

Bag it - just fasten something around the seed pod that won't rot, and
collect it once it hits the water. I can't imagine the seeds improve after
that.

Now this brings up an iris question of my own. The Blue pseudacorus irises
grow wild in barely damp soil around here. Shortly after they've finished
blooming (that would be now), the birds start leaving purple droppings
everywhere. I suspect they're eating the iris seeds - can anyone confirm
that? I can't even tell you which birds are doing it.
--
derek
- Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself, not rec.ponds.moderated

Old 25-07-2007, 12:43 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Gareee©" wrote:

Ok, after our Iris get flowers, they get a big pod where the flower was.. I
assume that where seeds are, but they always en up sinking into the water,
and rotting. Also, they only bloom the once every year.. any way to get them
to bloom of frequently? (Water lillies are always blooming from time to
time.)

Any idea how soon that pod can be cut off, so the seeds could be planted?

Most pond Iris varieties that I am aware of bloom just the once. You could
google for reblooming iris, but even then, you will not be seeing constant
bloom throughout the summer.

As for the seeds, you are probably better off just dividing the iris.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Old 25-07-2007, 02:13 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

I've had one iris grow from a seed.
Out of all the ones that hit the water.
Part of our pond banks is made of turf,
the little seed floated over there and took
hold, a plant grew in the turf.
If you look at my pictures the plant is
now (DH moved it) in the waterfall.

(As far as purple bird poop...!)

k :-)
http://tinyurl.com/6bguh ~ new pond keeper info
http://tinyurl.com/yp64db ~ slide show of pond

Old 25-07-2007, 02:14 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Derek Broughton" wrote:

Gareee© wrote:

[...]

Hi Derek,

Mine finished blooming about a month ago. I just went out to look, and the
seed pods are still green and pliable. The actual seeds won't be available
until the pod dries and pops open. I think your purple poop might be from
some other source. Also, if memory serves (and these days that is
questionable) I believe the seeds are black.

Old 25-07-2007, 05:46 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"San Diego Joe" wrote in message

Mine finished blooming about a month ago. I just went out to look, and the
seed pods are still green and pliable. The actual seeds won't be available
until the pod dries and pops open. I think your purple poop might be from
some other source. Also, if memory serves (and these days that is
questionable) I believe the seeds are black.

I'll just ignore them and split them, I think. Mine bloomed like 2 months
ago already. They were the early bloomers this year.

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 25-07-2007, 05:47 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Ours have reproduced by the roots. The big pods are former every
year, but we have never planted any. Mostly we throw out the too-many
new ones.

Jim

Old 25-07-2007, 02:58 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

San Diego Joe wrote:

"Derek Broughton" wrote:

Now this brings up an iris question of my own. The Blue pseudacorus
irises
grow wild in barely damp soil around here. Shortly after they've
finished blooming (that would be now), the birds start leaving purple
droppings
everywhere. I suspect they're eating the iris seeds - can anyone confirm
that? I can't even tell you which birds are doing it.

Mine finished blooming about a month ago. I just went out to look, and the
seed pods are still green and pliable. The actual seeds won't be available
until the pod dries and pops open. I think your purple poop might be from
some other source. Also, if memory serves (and these days that is
questionable) I believe the seeds are black.

My seeds actually appear to be orange/red. Nothing else seems to have
produced berries of any kind yet, so I just can't imagine what else would
have a blue pigment.
--
derek

Old 25-07-2007, 08:08 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Gareee©" wrote in message
Ok, after our Iris get flowers, they get a big pod where the flower was..
I assume that where seeds are, but they always en up sinking into the
water, and rotting. Also, they only bloom the once every year.. any way to
get them to bloom of frequently? (Water lillies are always blooming from
time to time.)

Any idea how soon that pod can be cut off, so the seeds could be planted?

===============================
I never noticed where they dropped their seeds but we find pond iris all
over the property. How the seeds get spread around is a myster to us. None
of ours ever bloomed more than once, always in the spring.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 26-07-2007, 03:43 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 14:25:56 CST, "Gareee©"
wrote:

Ok, after our Iris get flowers, they get a big pod where the flower was.. I
assume that where seeds are, but they always en up sinking into the water,
and rotting. Also, they only bloom the once every year.. any way to get them
to bloom of frequently? (Water lillies are always blooming from time to
time.)

Any idea how soon that pod can be cut off, so the seeds could be planted?

You can cut them off as soon as they're done blooming. Forming seed
actually takes some of the vigor away from the forming of new blooms next
year. Btw, where the stalk came up, will never bloom again, it will be the
off-shoots that will be next year's blooms. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 26-07-2007, 05:34 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

Ok, after our Iris get flowers, they get a big pod where the flower was..
assume that where seeds are, but they always en up sinking into the water,
and rotting. Also, they only bloom the once every year.. any way to get
them
to bloom of frequently? (Water lillies are always blooming from time to
time.)

Any idea how soon that pod can be cut off, so the seeds could be planted?

You can cut them off as soon as they're done blooming. Forming seed
actually takes some of the vigor away from the forming of new blooms next
year. Btw, where the stalk came up, will never bloom again, it will be the
off-shoots that will be next year's blooms. ~ jan

More good intel!

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 26-07-2007, 09:22 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I just looked at our seed pods...which had been left on the stak.
Each has two rows of seeds. Some of the pods have begun to
disintegrate. Those have dark brown seeds. The ones that have not
opened had lighter brown seeds. I am not sure if maturity or exposure
to air led to the darkening. They are clearly ready to be planted. I
do not know if they would have matured if Icut them off the stems
before now. I suspect immediate cutting would prevfent maturation.

Jim

Old 27-07-2007, 10:19 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 02:22:49 CST, Phyllis and Jim
wrote:

I suspect immediate cutting would prevfent maturation.

I agree. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread: