Old 01-04-2003, 12:20 PM
Warwick Dumas

Default Slugs or no slugs

"Andrew Thomson" wrote in message
A little bit of salt never hurt any robin. (but you can't say the same for
slugs eeeugh)

The trouble with this would seem to be that (because they are very good at
resisting toxins, sweating them out as they cross) the quantity it would
take to be effective would also act as a very powerful and long-lasting
weedkiller. The sand is a good idea and known to work (in my experience
anyway). Slug pellets are highly unreliable (they can attract more slugs to
the area than they kill, for a start) and indeed a real hazard.

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
Today I planted out a fair number of lupins and delphiniums, the smaller
plants I covered with cut off pop bottles and some bigger ones I
surrounded with sand, so we shall see what we shall see tomorrow.There
was no way I could use poison as our friendly robin Emily helped me with
the planting by eating the worms as I dug :-)
kate