Old 30-03-2003, 09:08 PM
Kate Morgan

Default Slugs or no slugs

Today I planted out a fair number of lupins and delphiniums, the smaller
plants I covered with cut off pop bottles and some bigger ones I
surrounded with sand, so we shall see what we shall see tomorrow.There
was no way I could use poison as our friendly robin Emily helped me with
the planting by eating the worms as I dug :-)
kate
Old 30-03-2003, 10:20 PM
Malcolm

On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 20:59:39 +0100, Kate Morgan
wrote:

Today I planted out a fair number of lupins and delphiniums, the smaller
plants I covered with cut off pop bottles and some bigger ones I
surrounded with sand, so we shall see what we shall see tomorrow.There
was no way I could use poison as our friendly robin Emily helped me with
the planting by eating the worms as I dug :-)
kate

Ah the dear robin, what a bird, makes gardening so much fun. Good luck
with the experiment, I hope you laid the sand wide enough (6 inches)
and you will need to maintain it regularly as well. Oh and remember to
share the garden with the creatures, just don't let them take over ;-)

Old 31-03-2003, 02:44 AM
Hussein M.

On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 20:59:39 +0100, Kate Morgan
wrotc:

Today I planted out a fair number of lupins and delphiniums, the smaller
plants I covered with cut off pop bottles and some bigger ones I
surrounded with sand, so we shall see what we shall see tomorrow.There
was no way I could use poison as our friendly robin Emily helped me with
the planting by eating the worms as I dug :-)
kate

My problem has been snails but I think they can be treated more or
less the same as slugs. I have a pot of coffee grounds handy and a
bag of ermm rather expensive vegetarian bran. I think I will try the
strong Nescafé spray this year.

So far only the sporadic greenfly brushed off and the hoverflies and
ladybirds are out exploring. That's how I like it!
It's been quite dry though.

Hussein

Grow a little garden
Old 31-03-2003, 08:56 AM

"Hussein M." wrote in message
: On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 20:59:39 +0100,
SNIP:
: My problem has been snails but I think they can be treated more or
: less the same as slugs. I have a pot of coffee grounds handy and a
: bag of ermm rather expensive vegetarian bran.

What is vegetarian bran? Or perhaps I should be asking what is
non-vegetarian bran?

I think I will try the
: strong Nescafé spray this year.
:
: Hussein
:
: Grow a little garden

Old 01-04-2003, 02:08 AM
Hussein M.

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 08:46:37 +0100, "K" wrotc:

What is vegetarian bran? Or perhaps I should be asking what is
non-vegetarian bran?

Bran, from oats, wheat, whatever - but grown organically. Of course
the snails aren't fussy, it's just that I had difficulty finding any
kind of bran in my local suburbanite supermarkets and resorted to a
health food store. OK it would have been more meaningful if I had
said "organic bran".

:-)

H.
Grow a little garden
Old 01-04-2003, 12:20 PM
Warwick Dumas

"Andrew Thomson" wrote in message
A little bit of salt never hurt any robin. (but you can't say the same for
slugs eeeugh)

The trouble with this would seem to be that (because they are very good at
resisting toxins, sweating them out as they cross) the quantity it would
take to be effective would also act as a very powerful and long-lasting
weedkiller. The sand is a good idea and known to work (in my experience
anyway). Slug pellets are highly unreliable (they can attract more slugs to
the area than they kill, for a start) and indeed a real hazard.

Old 03-04-2003, 09:56 PM
Kate Morgan

snip

Today I planted out a fair number of lupins and delphiniums, the smaller
plants I covered with cut off pop bottles and some bigger ones I
surrounded with sand, so we shall see what we shall see tomorrow.There
was no way I could use poison as our friendly robin Emily helped me with
the planting by eating the worms as I dug :-)
kate

Well so far so good, none of the plants that I surrounded with sand have
been touched by anything, they are all growing on well and Emily Robin
is safe :-)

kate

Old 04-04-2003, 08:56 AM
Philippe Gautier

Kate Morgan wrote:

Today I planted out a fair number of lupins and delphiniums, the smaller
plants I covered with cut off pop bottles and some bigger ones I
surrounded with sand, so we shall see what we shall see tomorrow.There
was no way I could use poison as our friendly robin Emily helped me with
the planting by eating the worms as I dug :-)
kate

Well so far so good, none of the plants that I surrounded with sand have
been touched by anything, they are all growing on well and Emily Robin
is safe :-)

kate

I also noticed exceptionally few slugs damage in the recent weeks. Could
be due to my new "miracle" bait/trap I bought, or is it the very dry
weather we had for the past months?

Philippe

Old 04-04-2003, 02:20 PM
nicky

"Philippe Gautier" wrote in message

I also noticed exceptionally few slugs damage in the recent weeks. Could
be due to my new "miracle" bait/trap I bought, or is it the very dry
weather we had for the past months?

Philippe

same here, I haven't seen any and only one tulip has been munched...hooray!!

Nicky