Old 26-07-2007, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Paul Waites Paul Waites is offline

Default Growing cowslips fromm seed

K wrote:
Paul Waites writes
Hi all,

I have naturalised some cowslip plants in my lawn and would now like
to increase stocks....

For the last couple of years I have collected seed without success in
growing plants..

Is there a knack to it?

I have just been using Sifted multipurpose compost so far.

Any theories welcomed as it would be great to have a lot more in my
lawn brightening up springtime.

Sow immediately, keep compost moist, don't bury too deep (just a
scattering of soil on top). I usually enclose the seed tray in a plastic
bag to conserve moisture.

Mine self seed well into gravel paths, so you could try sowing on top of
the soil and covering with a thin layer of gravel.

If they don't germinate straight away, leave them under a bench in a
cold greenhouse over winter and they should start germinating in spring.

You can also divide larger plants in the summer

Thanks for the advice..... The fact that they are in the lawn is a
problem... They don't self seed in the lawn, also splitting is not
really on.

I'll try with the seed this weekend while it is fresh.

Thanks,

Paul.