Old 25-07-2007, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Growing cowslips fromm seed

Hi all,

I have naturalised some cowslip plants in my lawn and would now like to
increase stocks....

For the last couple of years I have collected seed without success in
growing plants..

Is there a knack to it?

I have just been using Sifted multipurpose compost so far.

Any theories welcomed as it would be great to have a lot more in my lawn
brightening up springtime.

Thanks,

Paul.
Old 25-07-2007, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Paul Waites wrote:
Hi all,

I have naturalised some cowslip plants in my lawn and would now like to
increase stocks....

For the last couple of years I have collected seed without success in
growing plants..

Is there a knack to it?

I have just been using Sifted multipurpose compost so far.

Any theories welcomed as it would be great to have a lot more in my lawn
brightening up springtime.

Thanks,

Paul.

Assuming that primroses are the same I also look forward to help. I
cannot get them to germinate, I have tried placing them in the fridge,
to no avail. Yet in my last house I had cowslips which self germinated
no problem!
Old 25-07-2007, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Broadback
writes
Paul Waites wrote:
Hi all,
I have naturalised some cowslip plants in my lawn and would now like
to increase stocks....
For the last couple of years I have collected seed without success
in growing plants..
Is there a knack to it?
I have just been using Sifted multipurpose compost so far.
Any theories welcomed as it would be great to have a lot more in my
lawn brightening up springtime.
Thanks,
Paul.

Assuming that primroses are the same I also look forward to help. I
cannot get them to germinate, I have tried placing them in the fridge,
to no avail. Yet in my last house I had cowslips which self germinated
no problem!

Many Primulas germinate better when the seed is sown fresh.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 25-07-2007, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Paul Waites" wrote in message
Hi all,

I have naturalised some cowslip plants in my lawn and would now like to
increase stocks....

For the last couple of years I have collected seed without success in
growing plants..

You could try letting nature take it's course, let the plants shed their
seeds and grow on their own, which is what seems to be happening in our
garden.

Old 25-07-2007, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Paul Waites writes
Hi all,

I have naturalised some cowslip plants in my lawn and would now like to
increase stocks....

For the last couple of years I have collected seed without success in
growing plants..

Is there a knack to it?

I have just been using Sifted multipurpose compost so far.

Any theories welcomed as it would be great to have a lot more in my
lawn brightening up springtime.

Sow immediately, keep compost moist, don't bury too deep (just a
scattering of soil on top). I usually enclose the seed tray in a plastic
bag to conserve moisture.

Mine self seed well into gravel paths, so you could try sowing on top of
the soil and covering with a thin layer of gravel.

If they don't germinate straight away, leave them under a bench in a
cold greenhouse over winter and they should start germinating in spring.

You can also divide larger plants in the summer
--
Kay

Old 26-07-2007, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the advice..... The fact that they are in the lawn is a
problem... They don't self seed in the lawn, also splitting is not
really on.

I'll try with the seed this weekend while it is fresh.

Thanks,

Paul.
Old 26-07-2007, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 13:03:53 +0100, Paul Waites
wrote:

Hi all,

I have naturalised some cowslip plants in my lawn and would now like to
increase stocks....

For the last couple of years I have collected seed without success in
growing plants..

Is there a knack to it?

5 - 7 years ago a friend gave me some cowslip seedlings which I
planted on my allotment. There are still cowslips there but not in
the same patch where I originally planted them. They just seed
themselves around. I have to weed carefully!
I would suggest that you prepare a patch of soil which will not be
disturbed, and transfer the plants there from your lawn, and then just
leave them. It's too late for this years seeding, but if you leave
next year's flowers to seed themselves you should then have plants to
move around the garden. You could also scatter there any saved seed
which you have left.
However, think where they grow in the wild.....

Pam in Bristol
Old 29-07-2007, 03:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Paul Waites
writes
Hi all,

I have naturalised some cowslip plants in my lawn and would now like to
increase stocks....

For the last couple of years I have collected seed without success in
growing plants..

Is there a knack to it?

I have just been using Sifted multipurpose compost so far.

Any theories welcomed as it would be great to have a lot more in my
lawn brightening up springtime.

I have not grown cowslip from seed however, my notes on sowing
wildflower seeds do indicate that cowslip is a seed that benefits from
stratification - it needs to be subjected to a period of chilling before
germination will occur. This can be achieved by mixing with some moist
compost and placing the seed in a refrigerator for around 8 weeks.
Alternatively seed can be sown outdoors in the autumn for germination
the following spring if you live in an area which is still subject to
frosts during the winter.
--
Robert

Cowslips Willi Garden Photos 4 28-03-2012 04:16 PM
Invite to Try Seed Swaps, A Free Seed Trading Website. [email protected] United Kingdom 2 14-02-2008 10:13 AM
Invite to Try Seed Swaps, A Free Seed Trading Website. [email protected] Gardening 0 13-02-2008 11:34 PM
seed to seed regions, US vs UK james Gardening 3 11-04-2006 11:37 AM
maturity of clover seed and trefoil seed? Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 5 02-07-2003 11:10 PM