Old 27-07-2007, 01:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
James James is offline

Default Horseradish leaves

On Jul 26, 8:38 am, "John Vanini" wrote:
Does anyone know whether the leaves of the horseradish plant are edible or
not, please?

I have one gardening book that says the young leaves are very good in salads
and another that says the leaves and stems are poisonous!

There are lots of recipes on the Internet for using horseradish but does
anyone have a special recipe that they like?

The reason I'm asking is, my wife planted this horseradish over a year ago
and now doesn't know what to do with it as it's spreading (unsurprisingly!)
over a wide area - apart from digging it up and throwing it away, that is!

I once tried, many years ago, grating the root to make horseradish sauce
and, being young (I was then!), did too much and all indoors! I could hardly
breathe, my throat was sore, and my eyes just turned to water so I shall
tread gingerly, next time.

Regards to all,

John

I've eaten one young leaf in the garden several times. Also had young
leaves including stems cooked with white rice. If they are poison I
guess I didn't eat enough.