Old 26-07-2007, 01:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Horseradish leaves

Does anyone know whether the leaves of the horseradish plant are edible or
not, please?

I have one gardening book that says the young leaves are very good in salads
and another that says the leaves and stems are poisonous!

There are lots of recipes on the Internet for using horseradish but does
anyone have a special recipe that they like?

The reason I'm asking is, my wife planted this horseradish over a year ago
and now doesn't know what to do with it as it's spreading (unsurprisingly!)
over a wide area - apart from digging it up and throwing it away, that is!

I once tried, many years ago, grating the root to make horseradish sauce
and, being young (I was then!), did too much and all indoors! I could hardly
breathe, my throat was sore, and my eyes just turned to water so I shall
tread gingerly, next time.

Regards to all,

John

Old 27-07-2007, 01:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jul 26, 8:38 am, "John Vanini" wrote:
[...]

I've eaten one young leaf in the garden several times. Also had young
leaves including stems cooked with white rice. If they are poison I
guess I didn't eat enough.

Old 27-07-2007, 09:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Hi Charlie,

Yep! Once is enough! I can peel onions without any problem - always have
been able to - but horseradish - that's another thing entirely!

Just one question - you don't mention horseradish leaves - any ideas or
experience of these?

I see from the email from James that he's tried it in small doses, so to
speak, annd he's obviously still alive so that can't be bad!

The leaves smell so good that it seems that they should be edible but you
have to be careful. I don't know where you are but, in England, during WW2 a
government department put out that you could cook and eat rhubarb leaves as
a food supplement - that was until several people had died from doing just
that, then they had to quickly advise people not to do so!!!!

So, I'm being very cautious!

Thanks for your reply!

John

Charlie wrote in message
On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 12:38:11 GMT, "John Vanini"
wrote:

There are lots of recipes on the Internet for using horseradish but does
anyone have a special recipe that they like?

Horseradish is a most fantastic condiment. Excellant on pork, and
beef. Burgers and most any sammich. Mixed with mayo is great as well.

I like it in mashed potatoes with garlic and onion. With fried
potatoes.

Mix with chili sauce or ketchup for shrimp and seafood sauce.

It is wonderful on sausages of all kinds...brats in particular. With
sauerkraut!

I've tried it in several recipes, but prefer horseradish.....on the
side.

I once tried, many years ago, grating the root to make horseradish sauce
and, being young (I was then!), did too much and all indoors! I could
hardly
breathe, my throat was sore, and my eyes just turned to water so I shall
tread gingerly, next time.

Heh heh...once is enough of that, eh? Try it outside in a food
processor and process it fine for the best heat and flavor. Google
recipes for preservation. Easy stuff.

If the breeze is wrong, postition a fan the right way. ;-)

Charlie

Old 27-07-2007, 09:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Thanks James,

Just one question - could you eat a lot more and, if you drop down dead,
email me again (LOL)?

Only kidding, James! Honestly!

I'm very grateful for your reply. There's a great deal of correspondence, on
the Internet, concerning horseradish leaves, but I am never sure how true
these letters are.

Thanks, my friend! I shall tentatively try the odd one or two.

John

"James" wrote in message
ups.com...

I've eaten one young leaf in the garden several times. Also had young
leaves including stems cooked with white rice. If they are poison I
guess I didn't eat enough.

Horseradish leaves John Vanini United Kingdom 11 28-07-2007 02:53 PM
Horseradish Tree Gae Xavier Texas 18 09-10-2005 08:45 AM
Leaves, leaves and yet more leaves! John Towill United Kingdom 12 01-11-2003 12:43 PM
Horseradish growing ED ROGERS United Kingdom 3 03-05-2003 05:20 AM
Horseradish... Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot United Kingdom 8 03-03-2003 11:42 PM