Old 01-04-2003, 02:32 PM
jane taylor

Default Another unusual poison warning - this time for dog owners

On Tue, 1 Apr 2003 11:39:03 +0000 (UTC), "Paul Kelly"
wrote:

~
~"jane taylor" wrote in message
~ This from the letters page of the new May BBC GW mag:
~
~ A reader wrote in to emphasise the danger of using cocoa shell mulches
~ in gardens with dogs. Their local dog club had already confirmed a
~ bitch dead due to eating cocoa shells. Apparently their chocolate
~ smell attracts the dogs, but they contain theobromine which even in
~ small quantities can kill a dog (so don't give one pieces from a human
~ chocolate bar either, no matter how much they beg!)
~
~ A manufacturer replied to the letter, saying there is a warning on the
~ bags. How many of us read the print on such things? They recommend
~ using bark mulches instead.
~
~
~I'm sure this is serious, but on April 1 a recommendation for dog owners to
~use bark mulches had me going for a moment
~
~pk
~
~
Aargh! I'm so sorry - I didn't even notice the pun... ouch, and it's
a bad one too...

I was in the local Van Hage garden centre a week ago asking about
minarette Victoria plums: they didn't have any in the chap I asked
about availability said the demand plummets in March.
I lost it at that point :-)

(got one the next day, at, I'm sorry to say, another branch...)

--
jane

Mark Twain

Please remove nospam from replies, thanks!