Old 27-07-2007, 11:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bee Orchid

In message , WaltA
writes
I promised to post some images of my "other" orchid
but this may appear in a different thread from my original Bee Orchid
post due to the elapsed time and needing to re-enter by hand !
Finally found them lurking in a corner of the archive on disc

http://www.freewebs.com/waltsretreat/PlantID/other.htm

Common Spotted, or Pyramidal ???

Having checked some books I'd say Common Spotted (Dactylorhiza fuchsii).
The key character given in Stace distinguishing Pyramidal and Common
Spotted Orchids is

Pyramidal: Spur (8)11mm, filiform, 6x as long as widest point
Common Spotted: Spur =11mm, not filiform, 6x as long as widest point

Also the Pyramidal Orchid is described as having its flowers in a more
or less pyramidal dense spike.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley