Old 27-07-2007, 03:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bee Orchid

I promised to post some images of my "other" orchid
but this may appear in a different thread from my original Bee Orchid
post due to the elapsed time and needing to re-enter by hand !
Finally found them lurking in a corner of the archive on disc

http://www.freewebs.com/waltsretreat/PlantID/other.htm

Common Spotted, or Pyramidal ???

Old 27-07-2007, 11:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , WaltA
writes
I promised to post some images of my "other" orchid
but this may appear in a different thread from my original Bee Orchid
post due to the elapsed time and needing to re-enter by hand !
Finally found them lurking in a corner of the archive on disc

http://www.freewebs.com/waltsretreat/PlantID/other.htm

Common Spotted, or Pyramidal ???

Having checked some books I'd say Common Spotted (Dactylorhiza fuchsii).
The key character given in Stace distinguishing Pyramidal and Common
Spotted Orchids is

Pyramidal: Spur (8)11mm, filiform, 6x as long as widest point
Common Spotted: Spur =11mm, not filiform, 6x as long as widest point

Also the Pyramidal Orchid is described as having its flowers in a more
or less pyramidal dense spike.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 27-07-2007, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 11:58:53 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:

In message , WaltA
writes
I promised to post some images of my "other" orchid
but this may appear in a different thread from my original Bee Orchid
post due to the elapsed time and needing to re-enter by hand !
Finally found them lurking in a corner of the archive on disc

http://www.freewebs.com/waltsretreat/PlantID/other.htm

Common Spotted, or Pyramidal ???

Having checked some books I'd say Common Spotted (Dactylorhiza fuchsii).
The key character given in Stace distinguishing Pyramidal and Common
Spotted Orchids is

Pyramidal: Spur (8)11mm, filiform, 6x as long as widest point
Common Spotted: Spur =11mm, not filiform, 6x as long as widest point

Also the Pyramidal Orchid is described as having its flowers in a more
or less pyramidal dense spike.

Thanks, yes that would make sense !
These were dense initially but soon opened out.
Also, in the previous thread we discussed their spotted leaves,
so I'm now convinced its the Common Spotted.

Ooops, silly me,
I forgot to post the link to my Bee Orchid page, for completeness :
http://www.freewebs.com/waltsretreat/PlantID/index.htm

Old 27-07-2007, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 27, 3:44 am, (WaltA) wrote:
I promised to post some images of my "other" orchid
but this may appear in a different thread from my original Bee Orchid
post due to the elapsed time and needing to re-enter by hand !
Finally found them lurking in a corner of the archive on disc

http://www.freewebs.com/waltsretreat/PlantID/other.htm

Common Spotted, or Pyramidal ???

Definitely Spotted/Dactylorrhiza and not the latter.
Pyramidal orchid gets its name from the small neat pyramids of pink
bright
pink flowers.

Des in Dublin

Old 28-07-2007, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 09:30:34 -0700, Des Higgins
wrote:

On Jul 27, 3:44 am, (WaltA) wrote:
I promised to post some images of my "other" orchid
but this may appear in a different thread from my original Bee Orchid
post due to the elapsed time and needing to re-enter by hand !
Finally found them lurking in a corner of the archive on disc

http://www.freewebs.com/waltsretreat/PlantID/other.htm

Common Spotted, or Pyramidal ???

Definitely Spotted/Dactylorrhiza and not the latter.
Pyramidal orchid gets its name from the small neat pyramids of pink
bright
pink flowers.

Thanks Des, yes all sorted now.

Thanks everyone.