Old 27-07-2007, 03:58 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Hal[_1_] Hal[_1_] is offline

Default Fertilizing lilies

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 03:19:28 CST, Phyllis and Jim
wrote:

Jim said to report that he got his spikes at Wal-Mart because they
were inexpensive and had proportions about like the proportions from
the Jobe's rose thread: 1-2-1 proportions in the 6-12-6 form.

I usually look for a 1-2-1 fertilizer for blooming plants and the
spikes have instructions on the package for the size pot, but these
are very easy to dissolve and be carried away in the water. I got
better results by adding spikes twice as often as recommended. That
is a bit of work and required either getting in the pond or using a
tube and push stick to insert the spikes. I use 3 gallon paint
buckets for lilies and inserted 4 spikes in each two weeks apart.

Last year I tried the time released Aquatic-Spikes two per plant and
forget it until next year. Works better for lazy people like me.

Regards,

Hal