Old 26-07-2007, 02:24 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Fertilizing lilies

Our lilies have grown well for years. Jim likes how they are
spreading, but he was unhappy about the low frequency of blooms. This
year he put some of the small fertilizer stakes into the pots with the
lillies. What a difference it has made! We are having lots of
regular blooms. The lilies that have got loose and are spreading on
the bottom of our cement pond have generally done quite well for
blooming and Jim can't figure a way to fertilize them.

Phyllis

Old 26-07-2007, 09:55 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
ups.com...
Our lilies have grown well for years. Jim likes how they are
spreading, but he was unhappy about the low frequency of blooms. This
year he put some of the small fertilizer stakes into the pots with the
lillies. What a difference it has made! We are having lots of
regular blooms. The lilies that have got loose and are spreading on
the bottom of our cement pond have generally done quite well for
blooming and Jim can't figure a way to fertilize them.

==========================
I find that the inexpensive Jobe Rose spikes make water lilies bloom like
crazy but have no effect in Lotus.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 27-07-2007, 10:18 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Jim got Miracle Grow 6-12-6 spikes. They were inexpensive. What is
the composition of the Rose spikes?

Phyllis

Old 27-07-2007, 10:19 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"JJ" wrote in message
You say that you use Jobe Rose Spikes for the lilies. How much of the spike
do you use say for a dishpan size container ?

Dishpans are really too small for a water lily, even a mini. I break the
spike in 3 or 4 pieces and use about 3 per pot.

I have been using about 1/4 spike every two months. Too much or too
little as I haven't seen much change in blooms ? (Of course don't have much
sun but most have had only one bloom this season. I would expect more)

Without sun there is nothing you can do to get blooms. Mine are in the sun
most of the day.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 27-07-2007, 10:19 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Old 27-07-2007, 10:19 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Jim said to report that he got his spikes at Wal-Mart because they
were inexpensive and had proportions about like the proportions from
the Jobe's rose thread: 1-2-1 proportions in the 6-12-6 form.

Phyllis

Old 27-07-2007, 03:58 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 03:19:28 CST, Phyllis and Jim
wrote:

Jim said to report that he got his spikes at Wal-Mart because they
were inexpensive and had proportions about like the proportions from
the Jobe's rose thread: 1-2-1 proportions in the 6-12-6 form.

I usually look for a 1-2-1 fertilizer for blooming plants and the
spikes have instructions on the package for the size pot, but these
are very easy to dissolve and be carried away in the water. I got
better results by adding spikes twice as often as recommended. That
is a bit of work and required either getting in the pond or using a
tube and push stick to insert the spikes. I use 3 gallon paint
buckets for lilies and inserted 4 spikes in each two weeks apart.

Last year I tried the time released Aquatic-Spikes two per plant and
forget it until next year. Works better for lazy people like me.

Regards,

Hal

Old 27-07-2007, 08:27 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote:

Jim got Miracle Grow 6-12-6 spikes. They were inexpensive. What is
the composition of the Rose spikes?

Phyllis

Jobes actually has an aquatic fertilizer stake that is 8-24-8. They are
relatively cheap. I use 3-4 stakes, every 4 weeks in a 5 gallon container.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Old 27-07-2007, 10:31 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
oups.com...
Jim got Miracle Grow 6-12-6 spikes. They were inexpensive. What is
the composition of the Rose spikes?

=====================
I would answer this but used them all up this past April. I have to pick up
another package next trip to town.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 27-07-2007, 10:31 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Reel McKoi" wrote in message
Dishpans are really too small for a water lily, even a mini. I break the
spike in 3 or 4 pieces and use about 3 per pot.

======================
That's 3 pieces, not 3 spikes per pot.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 28-07-2007, 05:29 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I'll have to chased down some of the aquatic spikes.

Jim

Old 31-07-2007, 06:50 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 13:27:22 CST, San Diego Joe wrote:

Jobes actually has an aquatic fertilizer stake that is 8-24-8. They are
relatively cheap. I use 3-4 stakes, every 4 weeks in a 5 gallon container.
San Diego Joe

Their Tomato spikes are also 8-24-8, usually a $1 or 2 cheaper than the
aquatic ones... at least here anyway, plus easier to find. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Lilies - Lilies-Red_5684.jpg (1/1) Donn Thorson Garden Photos 0 29-06-2009 11:33 AM
Lilies: - Lilies-Stargazer-CU.jpg (1/1) Donn Thorson Garden Photos 2 26-12-2008 10:44 PM
PEACE LILIES WITH NO LILIES MARTY United Kingdom 1 08-12-2005 03:09 PM
Device for fertilizing lilies K Ponds 7 30-07-2003 09:47 PM
When to start fertilizing lilies Claude Rogers Ponds 1 22-04-2003 04:56 AM