Old 28-07-2007, 02:47 AM posted to rec.gardens
Rachael Simpson Rachael Simpson is offline

Default When to plant for fall crops?

Ook wrote:
I would like to put in some late cabbages and potatoes (and maybe a few root
veggies) for fall crops. I live in the mid Willamette Valley, south of Salem
Oregon. Does anyone know when I should actually plant cabbages? The only
info I could find was to plant "during the heat of mid-summer". That is a
big fuzzy - I'm guessing towards the end of August?

And, how about potatoes? Is August too late to plant them for fall/winter
crop?

Here (south-east NC) we have been known to plant as late as the end of
Aug, first part of Sept, for our fall/winter harvest. Of course,
normally it doesn't drop below freezing (or even get to freezing temps)
until mid-Dec.

Usually, we plant our fall crops (peas, peas, and more peas & some
cabbage) whenever the summer squash & cukes play-out. (till them in and
replant in those areas) Collards & turnips are usually our winter crop.
We have re-planted potatoes in Aug last year (not sure what part, that
part of the year was a blur for me, was caring for my grandpa then), but
they didn't fair as well as spring crop potatoes did.

Of course, you never really know til you try it, i guess....