Old 28-07-2007, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Fat Freddy's Cat[_2_] Fat Freddy's Cat[_2_] is offline

Default Do I roll a new turfed lawn ??

"boombangabang" wrote in message
My lawn was laid just before all this rain, and it feels spongy when I
walk over it.

When its a bit drier, should I give it a roll ??

Rolling new turf emphasises soft and hard spots below so it has the opposite
effect of what you think it will i.e. it makes it more lumpy.

Unless you have a 3 year program in mind to keep rolling and filling the
recesses to get a flat finish, then I reckon you shouldn't roll it.

The weather just now is exceptional - my advice would simply be to stay off
your new lawn until we get something like drier weather.

In my experience I've yet to see newly laid turf (domestic) that was
approaching level when laid and was still level a year later - that flat
bowling green look most people would like is tremendously elusive with new
turf.

g.

g.