Old 27-07-2007, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Do I roll a new turfed lawn ??

My lawn was laid just before all this rain, and it feels spongy when I
walk over it.

When its a bit drier, should I give it a roll ??

Old 27-07-2007, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/7/07 20:34, in article ,
"boombangabang" wrote:

My lawn was laid just before all this rain, and it feels spongy when I
walk over it.

When its a bit drier, should I give it a roll ??

In truth, you should ask the turf layers this question. They're responsible
for its success. If you do something they haven't recommended, they will
disclaim all responsibility.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 27-07-2007, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

boombangabang wrote:

My lawn was laid just before all this rain, and it feels spongy when I
walk over it.

When its a bit drier, should I give it a roll ??

Yes, and be ready with a mix of sand/compost and seed to fill the
gaps/dips.

I had to lay a small patch of turf today. I'd started doing it
yesterday, but a deluge stopped me. It wasnt much better today, as the
soil was so wet that I was sinking almost to my ankles.
The bloke was insistent that I did it today, so I did the best I could
by laying a layer of sand, trying to get it roughly level, then putting
the turf on top.
It looked ok when it was done, but when it dries out, there are going to
be hills and hollows all over it, so I told him not to touch it for 2
weeks, apart from watering if it gets hot enough, then I'll be back with
the sand and seed mix to get it a bit more level.
There's no way I should have even tried laying it on the soil as it was,
I did the best of a bad job, but I need to go back to rectify it later.

Pics here of what I did, 1st is as found, 2nd with tree stumps removed
(quote "there's one old conifer stump that will have to be got out") and
state of soil in background, 3rd is finished this PM:

http://www.darkroom.plus.com/images/start.jpg
http://www.darkroom.plus.com/images/treestumps.jpg
http://www.darkroom.plus.com/images/turfed.jpg

It's hard to beleive but that clearance nearly filled a full skip.
Alan.
Old 28-07-2007, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"boombangabang" wrote in message
My lawn was laid just before all this rain, and it feels spongy when I
walk over it.

When its a bit drier, should I give it a roll ??

Rolling new turf emphasises soft and hard spots below so it has the opposite
effect of what you think it will i.e. it makes it more lumpy.

Unless you have a 3 year program in mind to keep rolling and filling the
recesses to get a flat finish, then I reckon you shouldn't roll it.

The weather just now is exceptional - my advice would simply be to stay off
your new lawn until we get something like drier weather.

In my experience I've yet to see newly laid turf (domestic) that was
approaching level when laid and was still level a year later - that flat
bowling green look most people would like is tremendously elusive with new
turf.

g.

g.

Old 28-07-2007, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"boombangabang" wrote in message
My lawn was laid just before all this rain, and it feels spongy when I
walk over it.

When its a bit drier, should I give it a roll ??

Our new turf also felt like that for about two months. Caused by them
rotavated the soil before laying. It just needs time to settle a bit. Try
and keep off it as much as possible in the first month.