Old 28-07-2007, 04:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
Johnny Johnny is offline

Default When to plant for fall crops?

On Jul 27, 9:15 pm, "Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at
zootal dot com delete the Don't send me any freakin' spam wrote:
I would like to put in some late cabbages and potatoes (and maybe a few root
veggies) for fall crops. I live in the mid Willamette Valley, south of Salem
Oregon. Does anyone know when I should actually plant cabbages? The only
info I could find was to plant "during the heat of mid-summer". That is a
big fuzzy - I'm guessing towards the end of August?

And, how about potatoes? Is August too late to plant them for fall/winter
crop?

Last year I planted cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage and collards in mid
September and the garden was a great success mostly from the aspect
that there was no insect damage. I was harvesting right through the
winter by adding a cloche over them if a hard freeze was expected.
Interestingly, I have one collard plant and one cabbage that came up
on their own this spring and as expected both became riddled by worm
holes. But the latest batch of leaves are remaining insect free which
leads me to assume that now would be a good time to begin my winter
garden. Just one problem, my summer vegetables are producing and I
don't wish to pull them up and replant with the winter varieties. I
have decided however to add another raised garden in order to begin my
winter garden.
Cheers,
Johnny
www.greatgardens.org