Old 29-07-2007, 11:43 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,rec.gardens
Data Data is offline

Default Trying to figure out what this plant is...

On Jul 25, 7:05 pm, Patrick wrote:
When I bought my home last year, there was a huge pink blossoming...
thing... in the front yard. My wife loves it, and wants more of them.
Every landscaper who has seen it is confused what it could be...

Anyone know a pictoral website for shrubs and bushes in the NY area
where I could possibly find this beast's name?

Hello Patrick
The plant you have is a Weigela - probably Weigela 'Gustav Mallet', on
account of a/ the flower colour (color) and b/ the rather pointed
leaves - as distinct from the sometimes broader oval leaves of some
varieties. It looks a little 'neglected' (The last owner's fault I am
sure :-).
It needs to be a slightly more moist soil - judging from the brown
edges to the leaves. Give it around 4in of mulch around base. As soon
as it finishes flowering, cut out the old flowered shoots near to the
ground. This will encourage new vigorous basal growth, which should
start to give it a little bit more height.
Cut out the old flowering shoots after flowering each year, and then
cut down around one third of the main stems to ground level each year.
This will keep the new growth that is needed for this to be a
satisfactory shrub.
Hope this helps
Data