Old 29-07-2007, 11:44 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default Which plant is this.... :-)

In message , FDM+
writes
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10327356@N04/935336083/

What's the reason of the yellow specks?

Thank you
Fabrizio

An adaptive hypothesis given for variegation is that it fools insects
into thinking that the leaves are already being attached by phytophagous
insects, and that they would be better to find another place to lay
there eggs. Or that by breaking up the outline of leaves it make it
harder for insects to recognise them as food.

I am unaware of how often, if ever, these hypotheses have been
experimentally tested.

In some cases variegation is due to viral infection (I don't think that
the photograph represents such a case) and is presumably non-adaptive.
Among the residue of cases there is more than one mechanism for
variegation.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley