Old 29-07-2007, 06:56 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default Which plant is this.... :-)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10327356@N04/935336083/

What's the reason of the yellow specks?

Thank you
Fabrizio

Old 29-07-2007, 11:44 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

In message , FDM+
writes
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10327356@N04/935336083/

What's the reason of the yellow specks?

Thank you
Fabrizio

An adaptive hypothesis given for variegation is that it fools insects
into thinking that the leaves are already being attached by phytophagous
insects, and that they would be better to find another place to lay
there eggs. Or that by breaking up the outline of leaves it make it
harder for insects to recognise them as food.

I am unaware of how often, if ever, these hypotheses have been
experimentally tested.

In some cases variegation is due to viral infection (I don't think that
the photograph represents such a case) and is presumably non-adaptive.
Among the residue of cases there is more than one mechanism for
variegation.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 31-07-2007, 03:26 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

I knew that's due to a virus, but I'd be wrong.
Anyway, someone can identify the plant?

Thank you,
Fabrizio

Old 31-07-2007, 03:12 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Looks to me like one of the narrow-leaved varieties of Codiaeum
variegatum, commonly called "Croton." The plants come in a whole
rainbow of colors. The spotted one is a mutation (sport) of one with
more normally-colored leaves.

Spots and stripes on leaves can be a mutation, a virus, evidence of
chimaera, or damage from a pest or insect. In this case, I think it's
genetic.

Have alook at:
http://www.itfgs.org/htm/croton.htm

M. Reed

Old 04-08-2007, 02:39 PM posted to sci.bio.botany

Have alook at:
http://www.itfgs.org/htm/croton.htm

Thank you I hope to be able to care this plant.....

Fabrizio