Old 30-07-2007, 01:52 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
RichToyBox RichToyBox is offline

Default What to do about high PH

"Barbara OR(USA)" wrote in message
Hi I'm Barbara and I live in Western Oregon. Bin lurking here since the
group opened

We habe 2 ponds with a creek in between. Had them about 16 or more years.
Last year we rebuilt the large upper level pond added a waterfall to it
and a skippy filter. Right now we've redone the creek and smaller lower
pond. For the first time in all these years I've bought a test kit and
everything checks out fine Except the PH which is at 8. So out of
curiousity I checked our Water straight out of the Faucet and it's a 9 .
So how do I deal with that. Any suggestions anyone?

Barbara

Don't try to force the pH down. Don't let a little new knowledge cause you
to go chasing your tail. Check the pH early in the morning and late in the
day. If it is flucturating, test for KH. You say that not knowing has
gotten you through 16 years, so it must be good water.

There is another test out there that is more beneficial, called KH hardness.
The KH test measures the bicarbonates in the water. If the bicarbonates
drop low, then the pH becomes unstable and will crash to very low numbers.
The bacteria use bicarbonates in there changing ammonia to nitrite, and
nitrite to nitrate. The bacteria actualy produce acids that must be
neutrallized for their health and the health of the fish. The bicarbonate
ion is easily changed by the acid to CO2 and water. It can also neutralize
the hydroxyl (very alkaline) ion, by being converted to water and carbonate
ion. The carbonate ion will combine with the calcium in the system and make
a relatively insoluble balance limestone like material. The KH needs to
stay above 80, and it doesn't hurt a thing to have it stay above 300. The
balance between bicarbonates and carbonates occurs at a pH of 8.3 to 8.4.
To raise the KH add baking soda.