Old 30-07-2007, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Sweet Chestnut with stripped bark

In article ,
mogsy23 writes:

| I know i'm probably peeing in the wind here, but i'm clutching at any
| possible straws out there. I have a large Sweet Chestnut tree, about 18
| inch diameter trunk and about 30 ft tall in a field and, sadly some
| sheep got into the field and stripped the bark from it, all round the
| poor thing. They had a real good go at it. It's a big tree and although
| i'm not much of a gardener i've heard that when this sort of thing
| happens then the tree's had it.
|
| As i said i'm clutching at straws, is there any chance for my tree? and
| is there anything i cando that could possibly help?

Well, maybe, and maybe not. Assuming that it dies, cut it down this
winter and use it for timber, firewood or whatever - and then watch
that space. It might well reshoot from the roots next year or the
one after - and you will be amazed at how fast those things can go
with a full-blown root system behind them!

But, if they haven't got all the way down all the way round, it may
live.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.