Old 30-07-2007, 01:59 PM
Registered User

Default Sweet Chestnut with stripped bark

Hi there,

I know i'm probably peeing in the wind here, but i'm clutching at any possible straws out there. I have a large Sweet Chestnut tree, about 18 inch diameter trunk and about 30 ft tall in a field and, sadly some sheep got into the field and stripped the bark from it, all round the poor thing. They had a real good go at it. It's a big tree and although i'm not much of a gardener i've heard that when this sort of thing happens then the tree's had it.

As i said i'm clutching at straws, is there any chance for my tree? and is there anything i cando that could possibly help?

thanks in advance

James
Old 30-07-2007, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
mogsy23 writes:

| I know i'm probably peeing in the wind here, but i'm clutching at any
| possible straws out there. I have a large Sweet Chestnut tree, about 18
| inch diameter trunk and about 30 ft tall in a field and, sadly some
| sheep got into the field and stripped the bark from it, all round the
| poor thing. They had a real good go at it. It's a big tree and although
| i'm not much of a gardener i've heard that when this sort of thing
| happens then the tree's had it.
|
| As i said i'm clutching at straws, is there any chance for my tree? and
| is there anything i cando that could possibly help?

Well, maybe, and maybe not. Assuming that it dies, cut it down this
winter and use it for timber, firewood or whatever - and then watch
that space. It might well reshoot from the roots next year or the
one after - and you will be amazed at how fast those things can go
with a full-blown root system behind them!

But, if they haven't got all the way down all the way round, it may
live.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-07-2007, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
mogsy23

If you had been fast enough a method that "can" work is to replace what bark
you can and then bandage the lot with cling film or similar.

And yes, it should grow from the stump, it used to be used for hop poles and
was coppiced widely.