Old 30-07-2007, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Hazel Hazel is offline

Default Sweet Chestnut with stripped bark

"mogsy23" wrote in message

Hi there,

I know i'm probably peeing in the wind here, but i'm clutching at any
possible straws out there. I have a large Sweet Chestnut tree, about 18
inch diameter trunk and about 30 ft tall in a field and, sadly some
sheep got into the field and stripped the bark from it, all round the
poor thing. They had a real good go at it. It's a big tree and although
i'm not much of a gardener i've heard that when this sort of thing
happens then the tree's had it.

As i said i'm clutching at straws, is there any chance for my tree? and
is there anything i cando that could possibly help?

thanks in advance

James

--
mogsy23

If you had been fast enough a method that "can" work is to replace what bark
you can and then bandage the lot with cling film or similar.

And yes, it should grow from the stump, it used to be used for hop poles and
was coppiced widely.