Old 31-07-2007, 03:32 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Eggs Zachtly Eggs Zachtly is offline

Default Something similar to Black-Eye Susans?

Mitch said:

What colors are you actually looking for.

I wouldn't mind some purples.

And, by 'similar to', are you
wanting "daisy" shaped flowers?

Actually, I meant I like the way Susans stay in their clusters. I
have a couple runners, but for the most part they stay together.
I don't want something that scatters all over.

A lot of wildflowers fit that bill. Check the different species of Liatris.
My Liatris aspera is still blooming, and the L. pycnostachya has just
finished.

Is there a reason that
Rudbeckia or Echinacea won't suit your needs?

Well, my friend has some reclaimed prairie with lots of Echinacea, and
it's already spent...just brown seed heads.

I'm just a bit south of you (near StL). My coneflowers (Echinacea and
Ratbida) are still going strong. Deadheading helps their performance, as
well as keeps the spreading down. I leave a few heads for the birds, at the
end of the season. =)

You gave me plenty to Google. Thanks!

You're welcome. Good luck. =)

--