Old 31-07-2007, 03:23 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
G Pearce G Pearce is offline

Default Algae bloom from hell...

Hi Garee - I had heard that the floating type of algae comes to the surface
in the sun and sinks at night - as far as the 50 gal container for a
filter - do you have any places around you that do food preparation, such as
canneries, etc? - I get my black 45 gal drums from a place that makes
gelatin capsules that used to hold "flax seed oil" and recycle them ($10) -
you either need a new container or one that held food grade material, not
chemicals or industrial oils - mine is 6 yrs old and the 45 gal drums are
thick and will last a long time
Gale :~)

Did that already, and overnight the surface algae either died off,or sank
below the surface. The water's going though the uv filter, and then just
duping back into the pond for now.

Still trying to find a local source for a 50 gallon covered storage device
I can use for a new filter to replace that sterlite.

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)