Old 30-07-2007, 12:33 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Algae bloom from hell...

Well as I mentioned, the filter blew a hole in the bottom last week.. it's
been storming here on and off for a week and a half now, so there's been a
massive natural water change.

Today I saw the fish all doing that "gasping for air" thing early in the
morning.. once the sun came out and warmed things up, they went under, but
I'd say about 1/4 of the pond is covered by bright green algae now.

I turned on the winter bubbler to at least add additional aeration, and
bypassed the main filter so the uv filter can at least slow things down.

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 30-07-2007, 05:52 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Good to hear you taking such great care of your fish. They will love
you for it.

I'd say about 1/4 of the pond is covered by bright green algae now.

Sounds like blanket weed. You can pull it off...although it is
grabbing nutrients for you.

I turned on the winter bubbler to at least add additional aeration, and
bypassed the main filter so the uv filter can at least slow things down.

The UV should kill the green water fairly fast.

Your fish will love even more for adding the bubbler. Any chance of
having the pump just circulate the water...as in make it circulate to
the surface where it can exchange gases? We have a bypass that allows
the pump to skip the berm ponds but continue to circulate water. It
actually runs in from a 1.5" pipe set just above water level. Talk
about a jet!

Jim

Old 30-07-2007, 01:53 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Gareee©" wrote in message
Well as I mentioned, the filter blew a hole in the bottom last week.. it's
been storming here on and off for a week and a half now, so there's been a
massive natural water change.

Today I saw the fish all doing that "gasping for air" thing early in the
morning.. once the sun came out and warmed things up, they went under, but
I'd say about 1/4 of the pond is covered by bright green algae now.

I turned on the winter bubbler to at least add additional aeration, and
bypassed the main filter so the uv filter can at least slow things down.

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

The lack of a working filter has allowed the nutrients to build up in the
pond and the algae has found food again. Right now, I think the algae is
your friend. It will keep the numbers down to protect the fish, as long as
there is sufficient oxygen. Get the filter fixed and back on line, and then
the algae will be put under control fairly quickly. I wouldn't try to kill
all the algae without getting the filter back up and running.

Old 30-07-2007, 05:27 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message

Any chance of
having the pump just circulate the water...as in make it circulate to
the surface where it can exchange gases? We have a bypass that allows
the pump to skip the berm ponds but continue to circulate water. It
actually runs in from a 1.5" pipe set just above water level. Talk
about a jet!

Did that already, and overnight the surface algae either died off,or sank
below the surface. The water's going though the uv filter, and then just
duping back into the pond for now.

Still trying to find a local source for a 50 gallon covered storage device I
can use for a new filter to replace that sterlite.

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 30-07-2007, 10:00 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Gareee, check your KH when you get a chance. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 30-07-2007, 10:00 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Gareee,

How is it that I m not surprised that you have covered your bases
already?

Jim

Old 31-07-2007, 03:23 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Hi Garee - I had heard that the floating type of algae comes to the surface
in the sun and sinks at night - as far as the 50 gal container for a
filter - do you have any places around you that do food preparation, such as
canneries, etc? - I get my black 45 gal drums from a place that makes
gelatin capsules that used to hold "flax seed oil" and recycle them ($10) -
you either need a new container or one that held food grade material, not
chemicals or industrial oils - mine is 6 yrs old and the 45 gal drums are
thick and will last a long time
Gale :~)

Old 31-07-2007, 09:32 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"G Pearce" wrote in message
Hi Garee - I had heard that the floating type of algae comes to the
surface in the sun and sinks at night - as far as the 50 gal container for
a filter - do you have any places around you that do food preparation,
such as canneries, etc? - I get my black 45 gal drums from a place that
makes gelatin capsules that used to hold "flax seed oil" and recycle them
($10) - you either need a new container or one that held food grade
material, not chemicals or industrial oils - mine is 6 yrs old and the 45
gal drums are thick and will last a long time

Hmmm... maybe I could at least skinm the stuff off during th eday then? That
might help.

There are a few farms and apple processing things nearby, but no BIG
processing plants at all. Gotta mess with the wife's car for the next few
days though, and that takes priority.

Temps are about 90 out right now, so I'll wait for them to drop a little
before trying to trying ti scoop out algae.

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Rate This Thread: